Poor patient....2 runs in 9 hours.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
At approx 2300 hrs we are dispatched to a siezure call. Gt on scene find a 26 yr old male face down on the floor. He fell down when he had a siezure. Small bump on left forehead, pain on his sternum from the fall. No other complaint. Suffered a TBI in the army and has reoccuring siezures since then. So we package him up, take him to the er. He's released and goes home for the night......

At approx 0740 hrs we are dispatched to a 2 vehicle 962. We arrive on sceneto find both drivers outside of the vehicle's and ambulatory. We see the passenger of the car still inside and a minor STI on his right side of the forhead. As I walk up to him I notice it is the same guy from the night before. They were rearended while enroute to the VA clinic for a follow up exam for medication adjustments. He actually started laughing and said he knew the process and could help us c-spine him. He had a brief LOC, bruised knees and STI on his head but was A&O x4 at the time and got grounded to a level 1 hospital with a the most well known neuro dept in our state.

ice guy, with some bad luck.

Thought I would share.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow... that does kinda stink.

OP
OP
A

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
thanks sean, I forget to mention what 962 means. Police code, thatphoenix uses for mva's. 961 no injuries, 962 w/injuries, 963 w/fatalities.

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
Remember the rule of threes...

This guy better knock on some real wood! Twice in 9 hours means he's got something else coming, lol. If there's one thing I've learned as an EMT (especially in the Boy Scouts...) it's that things nearly always come in threes, especially when their conjunction seems most unlikely.

Good thing both incidents were minor for him. Maybe he'll catch a break!

Wendy
CO EMT-B

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
thanks sean, I forget to mention what 962 means. Police code, thatphoenix uses for mva's. 961 no injuries, 962 w/injuries, 963 w/fatalities.

So you folks aren't NIMS compliant yet?

firecoins

IFT Puppet

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
So you folks aren't NIMS compliant yet?

Only for those few exceptions. We have half a dozen numeric codes that we use, and those are copied from PD. We only use them for sensitivity reasons... if Mom is frantic wanting to know if her kid is going to be okay, you don't want her overhearing someone on the radio "upgrading the call to a collision with fatalities". Other than those six or so codes, we use all plain English ("Copy" instead of "10-4", etc.).

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
There are days when you just shoulda stayed in bed.

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member
Last night we were called to "heart problems, with cardiac hx." The time in CAD was 10:10:22 Notes indicate irregular heartbeat. For whatever reason the crew (I was not on this crew) did not transport.

Well, according to CAD, at 11:03:07 we were again called to the same location, this time with "-HEART PROBLEMS - Firing of A.I.C.D."

I'll bet the pt was transported that time...

I have no clue if the first call ended in an AMA Refusal or what, but if so I think the pt will think twice about refusing again.

Last edited by a moderator:

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I think that guy should invest in some padding... very quickly! lol

You guys must be his angels... I wish all my patients would say that they know exactly what to do and help me... I bet the third time he'll even load himself...