Peds resuscitation CE

Cindigo

Forum Crew Member
*Let me preface this with I'm a noob and I've never run a code, much less a ped code but, I was blown away by this lecture. I went to it with a lieutenant from a neighboring dept. that has been a paramedic for 12 years, and he was really impressed.

The lecture was given by Dr. Peter Antevy. His method is called the Handtevy Method, basically Broselow tape with every annoying confusing thing taken away. At the beginning of the lecture he said that by the end of it, we would be able to estimate peds age/weight and give correct drug dosages for Epi, Amiodarone, Bicarb, D25, NS, Lorazeepam and Diazepam.

The basics: Start at your thumb point to it and number outlout: thumb (1), pointer (3), middle finger (5), ring finger (7), pinkey (9). Those are ages.

Now start at that same thumb: thumb (10), pointer (15), middle (20), ring (25), pinkey (30). That's weight in Kgs.

I have a chart for the drugs that I can post. It's basically jut moving the decimal point forward or backwards. I just don't have time to copy it right now.

I didn't want to post any links or video to seem like I was spamming because it is a "system" with books and a kit, but it made sense and connected the chain of support from EMS to ED with everyone being on the same page with clear information. I know I'm seriously green, but I really think this guy has come up with something really valuable.

Here's kind of a "fluffy" but informative article I found:

When it comes to an emergency involving a child seconds count when paramedics arrive on the scene they need to be able to give the right amount of life-saving medication right away, but too often, critical mistakes are made. 7s Diana Diaz shows us how a local doctor came up with a new way to avoid a Difficult Dose.

Edit
Remainder of text removed as per EMTLIFE copyright rule.

Last edited by a moderator: