Partner's Problem

i5adam8

Forum Crew Member
The last couple of weeks or so my partner has been using the restroom more than usual. I didn't really give much thought to it until about a week ago when he was in the restroom while we got a call.This happened several times thoughout the course of a week,and the last time it really delayed our response time.He claims he is having Bowel movements,and I know that everyone has had a call come in at one of those most "unpleasant times",but this has happened on several occasions when calls have come in.I don't quite know what to say,or even if I should say anything...I wouldn't know how to approach the subject with him.Anyone else ever have a problem like this?

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Define "delayed"?..............911 calls or transfers?

As they say, ":censored::censored::censored::censored: happens", you really cannot predict when a call will drop, so it is hard to time the body's release, so to speak.

Perhaps he is ill with a GI issue. If you feel comfortable, talk with him about it, see if all is well. Otherwise, you just want to watch and see if it passes (no pun intended!)

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member
I think it needs to be dealt with as soon as you see it interfering with patient care. Talk to your partner first and see if you can both get on the same page with it.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
About 13 years ago I had a partner that would spend a ton of time in the restroom. He was later busted for stealing Narcs.................

The last couple of weeks or so my partner has been using the restroom more than usual. I didn't really give much thought to it until about a week ago when he was in the restroom while we got a call.This happened several times thoughout the course of a week,and the last time it really delayed our response time.He claims he is having Bowel movements,and I know that everyone has had a call come in at one of those most "unpleasant times",but this has happened on several occasions when calls have come in.I don't quite know what to say,or even if I should say anything...I wouldn't know how to approach the subject with him.Anyone else ever have a problem like this?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
You are trained to be aware when something on your end is slowing down or interrupting the flow of your calls. You are trained to notice stuff of a possible medical origin. You're trained to ask questions. You're trained to suggest that something may be amiss if that is how you see it. You are trained to advise people what you can do and what you can't do to help them. You are trained to encourage people to get help, even if you're not the one to help them.

Your partner deserves the same consideration and honesty as your patients. Bringing up the subject only means you're doing what you're trained to do.

medicman14

Forum Crew Member
Just a suggestion

There is a common, yet rarely diagnosed, GI disorder called Celiac Disease. It is estimated to effect 1 in 133 Americans. Mention it and suggest a google search, it can make all the difference in the world to your partner. All else fails, blame it on me.;)

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
i know exactly what i5adam8 is talking about i have a partner that is in the restroom all the time its so bad i cant even get in there i always have to wait till we get to a hospital. i cant figure out what he does in there all the time