Paramedic Skills

Zanerd

Forum Probie
Ok, here's a question for ya. I start Medic school in the fall, what new skills will be added on to EMT-B training?

I know IV/Medications/heart rhythms/intubation are the big ones, but I am curious as to what the rest of that full year of school includes.

Maybe this thread will showcase what ALS covers vs BLS.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
What will be covered is EDUCATION, not skills. You will learn why the body works and how your treatment correspond with the body's function.

You don't just learn cool new skills to use!!!

OP
OP
Z

Zanerd

Forum Probie
Education??? At School??? NO....;)

I realize that we learn why medications are used/when, the effects it has on the body, more in depth A&P,
Of course we aren't going to just simply learn HOW to do it, but also WHY.(Sorry about the confusion, but I thought all that went without saying?)

What I was asking about pertains to new skills/procedures, I'm trying to see what is built off the EMT-B coursework and corresponds over hands-on wise.

Example: All the little basics covered are there for a reason, but what other things are being taught that make ALS what it is?

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Basically the first chapter in the book will cover what you learn in EMT-b. Every thing else is a whole new ball game.

Advice I can give you is this: Don't worry about skills or procedures. Learn the medical side of things. Concentrate on this aspect and you will do just fine.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Medic school spends a lot of time teaching you the "Why" of the body... a lot of A&P stuff, and how the heart works, and how various things go wrong with the body.

The "Monkey skills" (IV, etc) can be learned in a very short time... but it takes a lot longer to learn the how's and why's of the body... and that is ongoing as you advance.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Does it matter as of the scope of practice??
What is of importance, is that you know your level well, no matter what that may be. I agree with that the "what's, how's and why's" and moreso with the "why's". Can i add: "when"?? you can take anyone from any walk of life and teach them "how" to... But can you teach anyone when to "when" to...

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I know IV/Medications/heart rhythms/intubation are the big ones, but I am curious as to what the rest of that full year of school includes.

These aren't the big ones...well, maybe the heart rhythms - but the rhythm alone does not dictate your treatment. And nowadays with 12-leads being the standard of cardiac care, you should learn how to interpret those as well. You should pay the most attention in the A&P and assessment portions of the class. I have paramedic students who do ride time with me, who focus far too much on doing their skills instead of assessing their patients properly.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
you will be learning pathophysiology of emergency situations that will arise, how and why they do what they do to the body, then you learn how to diagnose them in the field, then what and why to do that for treatment, the medical side is very emphasized on assesment and treatment of the medical problems. as for trauma... well trauma is trauma... in my opinion the best person to treat a trauma patient is a basic.. the only couple of things a medic can do different there is... intubate, IV's with fluids.. maybe a pressor or something if indicated.