Oral Glucose

skyemt

Forum Captain
Hi,

i understand that oral glucose absorbed in the mucosa of the cheeks,gums is absorbed into the bloodstream faster than sugar that is digested...

but, most pt's seem to swallow the oral glucose... what is the difference between that and drinking, say, a glass of orange juice?

thanks

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Consistent dosing, easier to get down for a patient with AMS, and less volume to come back up later.

And although I like the idea of having a fridge full of refreshing drinks on every ambulance, it's probably impractical. Little tubes of goo store better, even if they taste worse.

EDIT:
That wasn't really what you were asking, so I'll try again. My best guess is that if there is any difference, it's because the glucose gel is more concentrated, making uptake faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
yea, MrConspiracy I agree with you, it is a lot easier to just carry around the tubes, but OJ just taste better lol, so if you at the pt.'s house or nursing home or wherever and have access to some OJ, you may want to give that at first and in the rig if they need more then give them the nasty tasting tube lol