NREMT Test and the AEMT

Test Anxiety

Forum Ride Along
All, as my user name suggests, I get test anxiety pretty bad. I completed the AEMT class here at a local college in Utah and was less than thrilled with the program. With that being said I’m struggling passing the NREMT/AEMT test. I am currently using the EMT-Prep site and have taken the NREMT/AEMT test twice now. I’m wondering what re the best resources AEMT’s on here have used with great results. I am back to reading the book again as well. One person suggested using a Paramedic text book also. I’m open for suggestions. Thanks.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I know this isn't answering the exact question you asked, but you may not be addressing your fundamental problem -- test anxiety -- simply by studying more or differently.

Have you experienced other kinds of anxiety? If so, did you find ways to cope with any of them?

I see you're 44. Have you had test anxiety for most of those years? Has it changed at all? Does anything make it better or worse?

OP
OP
T

Test Anxiety

Forum Ride Along
I know this isn't answering the exact question you asked, but you may not be addressing your fundamental problem -- test anxiety -- simply by studying more or differently.

Have you experienced other kinds of anxiety? If so, did you find ways to cope with any of them?

I see you're 44. Have you had test anxiety for most of those years? Has it changed at all? Does anything make it better or worse?

As far as I can remember I’ve had test anxiety. Ive never been great at school. I’m great in the field and have been told that I should go to Paramedic school because of my performance and critical thinking abilities but being 44 and having two small kids (2nd marriage lol) It’s just not in the cards for me. People ask me what the questions were and as soon as I click next, I can’t even remember what the question was.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Does the anxiety begin long before the test, or around the time you start taking it? Do you feel equal anxiety regarding short-answer and multiple-choice questions? Do you get anxious during practical exams, too? How was the Utah AEMT exam for you?

OP
OP
T

Test Anxiety

Forum Ride Along
Does the anxiety begin long before the test, or around the time you start taking it? Do you feel equal anxiety regarding short-answer and multiple-choice questions? Do you get anxious during practical exams, too? How was the Utah AEMT exam for you?

I’d not get it during practice tests because In my head I know that its a practice. Even with the end of course AEMT exam I had anxiety.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I was asking about practical exams, not practice exams, and what kinds of written questions give you the most trouble.

The part about not having trouble with practice exams is interesting, though. Are you required to take the NREMT exam? What would happen if you didn't, and just continued as a Utah AEMT?

OP
OP
T

Test Anxiety

Forum Ride Along
I was asking about practical exams, not practice exams, and what kinds of written questions give you the most trouble.

The part about not having trouble with practice exams is interesting, though. Are you required to take the NREMT exam? What would happen if you didn't, and just continued as a Utah AEMT?

Utah we are required to take the NREMT. As for the practicals, I get a little anxiety but not as bad. I’m good with hands on skills. It’s just really written tests.