Northern Canada Training Requirements

Shamrock

Forum Ride Along
Hello All,

I have been asking around/researching and have found little describing the regulatory body governing pre-hospital care in Canada's Northern Territories. Could anyone fill me in? Do they utilize private contractors? Volunteers/Paid on Calls?

If anybody does work, or is familiar with the work, is it currently as saturated a job market as other parts of Canada (Ontario, etc.)?

Thanks!
Sham/

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello All,

I have been asking around/researching and have found little describing the regulatory body governing pre-hospital care in Canada's Northern Territories. Could anyone fill me in? Do they utilize private contractors? Volunteers/Paid on Calls?

If anybody does work, or is familiar with the work, is it currently as saturated a job market as other parts of Canada (Ontario, etc.)?

Thanks!
Sham/

Here in the Northwest Territories we have little in the way of legislation governing EMS. Here in the NWT we are mostly BLS with the exception of medicnorth which provides our air medevac service. Out of the 20 or so communities in the NWT only 5 or 6 communities have any sort of EMS. Only 5 communities have MD's the rest have NP's RN's and LPN's. Our former coordinator informed us at a meeting the the only requirement for an ambulance service in the NWT is standard first aid and cpr with the driver also requiring a class 4 DL. The territorial govt is trying to change that with EMT/PCP being the future minimum requirement to operate an ambulance service. The process is going slowly. Most of the ambulance service here are volly/paid on call. We only have 3 full time services one is our capital city but they are a fire based service. The other is a private contractor. The other paid os also a private but they provide air medevac services and they are the only ALS service in the NWT.

Last edited by a moderator: