New

crandal

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, I'm going to be getting into an EMT class in less than a month. I was wondering if there is any specific things I should do to prepare. I currently work for a local ambulance company, but all I can do is drive. I have memorized things like SAMPLE, OPQRST, AVPU, DCAP-BTLS and such. I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I will be able to focus more on what's going on what the instructor is saying.

Thanks for the advice.^_^

Jolt

Forum Crew Member
I would suggest borrowing a text book from someone you work with and flipping through a couple of chapters. My EMS-I offered all of us the opportunity to come in and pick up our text books a few weeks early to get ahead on the reading.

Maybe if you call your instructor, he or she will offer you the same opportunity.

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
I totally agree with Jolt. The best thing you can do is to start reading the textbook early. My class ended in June and I still read my text all the time. It is an incredibly valuable resource and getting a start on reading it will definitely help you to feel more confident with your knowledge and skills when class starts.

Another thing I would recommend is just to talk with other EMTs. Since you already work for an ambulance company that probably will be easy. Talk with other EMTs and have them run scenarios with you. Maybe they will walk you through how to do a pt exam and teach you some of the things they have learned the hard way. Two of my close friends are really experienced EMTs and I wish that I taken advantage of their help when I was in my EMT class.

Good luck in your class! B)