New to Emt

helpfull

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been reading the post and Am looking to see if any one can tell me a few things,
I am All but a single mom ( my husband Is a commercial truck driver away from home for 3 to 4 weeks at a time) my kids are almost 11 and 12. Emt is something I have always wanted to do . I love to help people, so much so that at age 10 I was volunteering at a senior center helping set tables and moved on from there.

One of the things you guys and gals have said is to contact some one doing this type of work. and My question to you is is it best to contact those in the fire house or a private company?

Second is the 24 hours shift a normal things or is 12 the normal? I can do away for 12 and on call but cannot be away from home regularly for 24

third... are the you Government employees or state or city ?

forth and last ( for today :) ) With the ride along as a third do you have to have basic knowledge of emt? any kind of medical back ground or CPR needed?

Thank you all for your hard work. Each one of you have made the difference in some ones life in some way. weather you know it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. i work for a private company but i cant see either really minding giving you a 3rd ride
2. shifts are always different depending on where you work most offer ranges from 8,10,12,and 24 thats how the company i work at runs them
3. fire departments are city employees normally private companies are run by a individual or group and just have contracts with cities and hospitals to provide rescue/transport
4. im not exactly sure i would expect they would at least like you to have cpr training maybe some else can clarify this better for you
hope i helped good luck with your rides and training :)

1. I also work for a private company and have only worked for private companies. It really depends on where you live and how the local EMS runs as to who would be better to contact. Where I used to live, there was only privately run companies. Either way, it shouldn't matter who you ask for a ride along. Try asking both :)

2. Depending on where you work, they might do 24 on and 48 off, or a combination of 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 24, etc. They also might do on call only. It depends on how small your company is that you work for.

3. Private companies are run by people. Fire departments also run a lot of EMS companies. If it's a county run organization, it's run by taxpayers/government.

4. Some companies will allow citizens to ride without experience. A lot of private companies, because of insurance, will usually only allow people to ride if they are enrolled in EMT class.

Best of luck to you with everything!

1.) I also work with a private company, Mainly depends on what is offered in you area. Ride alongs depend on the company policy.

2.) Shifts depend on how frequent the EMS service is needed. Some places its closet to none, where as you might constantly be in the truck.

3.) Depend on how the company is contracted.

4.) Most private companies want you to have some experience because of insurance purposes.

I highly recommend taking an EMT-B course, its not that difficult and its a great start to an amazing profession. Good Luck :)

Back