New Protocols

Epi-do

I see dead people
So, when does your area typically roll out new protocols? Do they do it as they approve new ones, or once or twice a year? Around here we get the new protocols at the beginning of the year. I went to A&R last night, and got to see what the changes are. I am sure at least some, if not alot of the stuff is things other areas already have/do, but I am still pretty excited to see what some of the changes were.

We are finally getting Versed on the trucks and getting rid of the Valium. With the Versed comes a chemical restraint protocol as well - something we haven't had in the past.

They are adding tourniquets to the protocols for uncontrolled bleeding. We are going to be able to give Narcan, Versed, and Phentanyl intranasally. Lasix is on it's way out of the protocols. This year it is written as "may be given" because some of the docs didn't want to remove it completely, but we were told it will be gone in 2009.

We will no longer have to confirm traumatic arrests with asytole in at least 2 leads. If they present pulseless and apneic, we will be able to leave them dead. No more working corpses because they are showing PEA on the monitor!

We are getting a protocol to induce hypothermia in patients that are resuscitated but remain comatose after being in cardiac arrest. We are also going to start using hydroxocobalamin (Vit B12 derivative) to treat smoke inhalation patients.

And, on a completely unrelated note, I got a $2 + raise on my check this week!

So, anyone else getting some new protocols that they are excited about?

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Progressive is a wonderful thing!!:)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We do new protocols about every 5 years and it takes forever to get them done and out. We were supposed to have new protocols last June but still haven't seen them.

The big issue was the paralytics for intubation and a new MPD in one of the systems during the middle of the process.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I totally forgot about A&R! My first vacation in 6 months, and I do it on Thursday. Those are some nice changes in the protocols, though. I can't wait til I can get a copy to read through.

-Kat

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Our protocol update started with a slide from the Public Health Department:

"How do protocols change?"
"Someone goes to a conference and sees a great idea..."

:rolleyes:

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
So, when does your area typically roll out new protocols? Do they do it as they approve new ones, or once or twice a year? Around here we get the new protocols at the beginning of the year. I went to A&R last night, and got to see what the changes are. I am sure at least some, if not alot of the stuff is things other areas already have/do, but I am still pretty excited to see what some of the changes were.

We are finally getting Versed on the trucks and getting rid of the Valium. With the Versed comes a chemical restraint protocol as well - something we haven't had in the past.

They are adding tourniquets to the protocols for uncontrolled bleeding. We are going to be able to give Narcan, Versed, and Phentanyl intranasally. Lasix is on it's way out of the protocols. This year it is written as "may be given" because some of the docs didn't want to remove it completely, but we were told it will be gone in 2009.

We will no longer have to confirm traumatic arrests with asytole in at least 2 leads. If they present pulseless and apneic, we will be able to leave them dead. No more working corpses because they are showing PEA on the monitor!

We are getting a protocol to induce hypothermia in patients that are resuscitated but remain comatose after being in cardiac arrest. We are also going to start using hydroxocobalamin (Vit B12 derivative) to treat smoke inhalation patients.

And, on a completely unrelated note, I got a $2 + raise on my check this week!

So, anyone else getting some new protocols that they are excited about?

We are implementing the new EZ-IO bone guns next month.

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
The EZ-IO's are nice. We got those last year.