New Job, Hurt Knee....Now What?

WannaBEMT

Forum Crew Member
Hey all-

Well just an update. I got a job offer at a large level one trauma center in Atlanta. My dream job, just where I want to be. Went to do the application process about 2 weeks ago where we had to do 2 tests, a practical that included all the skills the EMT-I should know, and a LONG oral interview with 2 people. I did really well and I was suprised! I got a call a couple of days after that with the official job offer. The problem...I have had a stabbing pain in my knee for about 2 months now, with the grinding noise, the knee buckling, etc...I went and had a MRI done ordered by the ortho which showed " Small joint effusion, High grade patellar chondromalacia in the lateral facet primarily with lateral patellar sublaxtion" OK so I have googled this and think I understand what is going on, any other info would be appreciated though. The ortho ordered some exercises to strengthen the muscles, and ice packs, etc...Told me if no relief then PT, which there has been no relief, then if nothing helps with PT, then on to surgery. Well I feel like I do not have time to wait to see if 6 weeks of therapy will work, much less be able to take off when I have a new job to do it. I called the ortho yesterday to see if he could work me in as the pain is very intense the past few days, he wants to see me tomorrow. I am wondering if draining the knee and maybe some cortisone would help. I am worried this is going to cause problems with my new job. And if I need surgery I would rather do it NOW before I start this job, I have 2 weeks before I start. Any advice would be great and anyone that has been through this I would appreciate it you let me know what your outcome was. Also if anyone knows if the draining and cortisone hurts let me know, I want to know what to expect tomorrow.

Thanks
Jenn

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Jenn, I know you really want this job, but if you rush though this surgery and don't take the amount of time needed for your knee to properly heal, you will injure yourself even worse, and maybe never be able to do your dream job. To me that would hurt me even more. Please take the time to get your knee fixed and do the rehab that is needed to make a full recovery. The last time I checked Jenn, EMS is not going anywhere, but we need you to be strong and safe. Hope this helps and hang in there! :)