New here

mishhhel

Forum Ride Along
Hello!
My name is Michelle and I am about to start my EMT-B class in May. I am really interested in becoming a paramedic, but i have a lot of questions! I am in Massachusetts taking my classes.

1) Once I am EMT-B, will becoming cardiac certified allow me to be in a better pay scale? And Should I look into EMT-Intermediate before paramedic?

2) What is a good school to go for my paramedic? And once I am a paramedic, could i work in a firehouse or are they really only looking for people who can do both fire fighter and paramedic?

3) Being a 23 year old woman who is in a relationship with a future... What is the protocol as a pregnant woman who is an EMT? Obviously I can't pick up a patient at 8 months pregnant.

4) What private companies do 911 calls, and is that a higher pay scale for 911 calls?

Thank you so much!! Sorry its a lot!

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I can only give my opinion. I have been an intermediate for about 3 Years, and a basic before that.

I am now enrolled in an associates degree medic program and from what I understand the intermediates usually do pretty well because of the additional skills we do (albiet not many ET, ECG, IV's, etc....)....

Also, I feel that the A&P, pharacology and cardiology and other health science classes will help me be a better intermediate on my journey to becoming a medic.

So... I am an advocate for becoming an intermediate (which will make you a better basic) and then take an associates degree medic program.