New here! Lots of questions...

r6yr

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum so please correct me if I didn't put this in the correct spot. Ok first of all my name is Ryan, I'm 21, I currently go to school at a 2 year tech school for civil engineering. I work at a structural engineering office where I have worked for over three years now. I have recently come to the conclusion that this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life and can not see myself here in 5-10 years. It came to my attention that sitting in front of a computer for 40 hours a week is just not me. I've been thinking about changing majors and I will be talking with the EMT advisor tomorrow.

That being said I am not looking for a job that will make me rich although I do want a job that will be able to support me and maybe a family some day. I have been looking and it seems around where I live, on internet pages, it says the average income is around $30000, is that about right (not to be nosey or anything, answer if youd like)? Also, I've been reading alot of threads here today and I saw one about schedules. It seems alot of you have 2 or more jobs? Is this typical for an EMT or dispatcher or whatever you choose to be?

That brings me to my next question. Could you fill me in on some of your abbreviations lol? Things like BSL/ASL (i think is what i saw?). What is the difference between an EMT and an EMS? Where does someone with a 2 year degree start? How long do you work before becoming a real EMT (EMT is what I really am hoping to be)? Really fill me in with as much inside information as possible.

Next, I have never broken a bone and I have never seen someone broke a bone. My one main concern is that I may get "freaked out" at some of the stuff I see. The main reason I think this is that I'm not really into watching surgery on TV, I don't like seeing dumb skateboards break 2 ankles trying to jump a set of stairs. Do you think this will mean I will have a weak stomach or is this just the fact that alot of people don't like seeing stupid people do stupid things? I have had my blood drawn with no problems, I am not afraid of needles and I have been in position that I have dealt with traumatic (bloody, potentially life threatening) situations and kept my composure.

Lastly, how hard is it being accepted to become an EMT? I have seen that if you have a felony you will NOT be accepted and if you have a misdemeanor you MAY not be accepted. That being said when I was 19 I made a stupid mistake and got arrested for a misdemeanor drug charge. Will I even be considered? I really hope this one thing doesn't hold me back but I'd really just like to know before I even try. Either way I will try but I want to know whether my hopes should be up or down.

I appreciate all your responses and helpful information. THANKS!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
That being said I am not looking for a job that will make me rich although I do want a job that will be able to support me and maybe a family some day. I have been looking and it seems around where I live, on internet pages, it says the average income is around $30000, is that about right (not to be nosey or anything, answer if youd like)? Also, I've been reading alot of threads here today and I saw one about schedules. It seems alot of you have 2 or more jobs? Is this typical for an EMT or dispatcher or whatever you choose to be?
You won't get rich doing EMS. $30,000 a year is accurate.

That brings me to my next question. Could you fill me in on some of your abbreviations lol? Things like BSL/ASL (i think is what i saw?). What is the difference between an EMT and an EMS? Where does someone with a 2 year degree start? How long do you work before becoming a real EMT (EMT is what I really am hoping to be)? Really fill me in with as much inside information as possible.
You saw BLS/ALS. BLS= Basic Life Support. That is an ambulance staffed by Basic EMTs. ALS = Advanced Life Support. This is an ambulanced staffed with paramedics with advanced training, who have various medications

My one main concern is that I may get "freaked out" at some of the stuff I see.
This really isn't a problem. You won't mind this as much as you think. I am sure you will do fine.

That being said when I was 19 I made a stupid mistake and got arrested for a misdemeanor drug charge.
Elaborate on this. Explain what happaned. It will not prevent you from becoming certifies as an EMT. It may or may not be a problem when applying for a job. The reason being you are in a profession that has access to prescription only drugs including morphine and other narcotics. Drugs that have street value.

I doubt if your honest about this and show why this isn't a problem, you shouldn't have a major problem. Drug tests mush show your clean of all drugs. You shouldn't even get a speeding ticket from this point on. As long as you stay out of trouble and clean of drugs, you should be alright.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
First off, Welcome!

One can make around $30k being an EMT-Basic fairly easily. Depending on where you live, of course.

BLS and ALS mean Basic and Advanced Life support. This means the level of care being provided. If a non-critical pt (patient) is being txp'd (transported) then it can be txp'd BLS. ALS provides more advanced care, such as IV's, Intubation, and drug adminstration. EMT stands for Emergency Medical Technician, EMS stands Emergency Medical Services. An EMT is in EMS. You can take an EMT-Basic class in about two/three months depending where you live. After the class you usually need about six months of probationary membership before you're let out on your own.

Regarding the broken bones and whatnot, usually everybody is the same way. I've had some horrible looking cases which in the moment I was fine and unaffected, however looking back on it I'm not sure how I did it. When you're in the moment you really can keep your cool because of the adrenaline. Regarding the misdemeanor charges, it changes state-by-state. Usually if the charges are over a certain amount of years they're dropped. Contact your state DOH's EMS department and ask their protocols regarding this. Also if you have any local Community/Volunteer Ambulance Corps around you, you can join as a probationary member and they usually will pay for the class.

Best of luck, and you know where to ask if you have any more questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

r6yr

Forum Ride Along
i didnt really want to ellaborate but here ya go... it was 4 in the morning and i got pulled over because my headlight apparently was out and for some reason or another the cop threatened to search my car with a drug dog. knowing i had a very small amount of pot in the car i told him i had it. very small amount, less than a joint, about one bowl. i also had a bowl with it. i got charged with a misdemeanor drug charge, pleaded no contest and served my punishment. 30 days house arrest and 1 year license suspension. that is the only time in my adult life ive ever been in trouble with the police. i have 3 speeding tickets as well as a failure to control on my driving record. all of which will be gone in 8-10 months.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Good questions all.

EMT stands for Emergency Medical Technician and depending on the state there are multiple levels of that. EMT- B is Basic level, EMT - I is Intermediate and EMT- P is Paramedic. Some systems do not list Paramedic as part of the EMT and lists it as a separate field.

EMS stands for Emergency Medical Systems and includes Emergency rooms, Firestations that run ambulances, private ambulance companies, civil or hospital run ambulance services and a myriad of other first response agencies.

BLS is Basic Life Support and ALS is Advanced Life Support. (please folks, lets be nice on this one and not start the ALS/BLS wars)

EMS is full of mnemonics. Most of them are used so much that we don't even think of them anymore.

Regarding the pay issue, I have a day job. I work in an engineering firm actually and for reference, not all day in front of a computer, there's a lot of field work depending on the type of firm that you work for. But, if you wish to pursue EMS as a career, look into your paramedic and paramedic/ff pays the best (usually). There are a lot of threads on it that you might research in this forum. Most of the pay issues have been covered already.

Good luck with your future career and welcome to EMT-Life.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
i didnt really want to ellaborate but here ya go... it was 4 in the morning and i got pulled over because my headlight apparently was out and for some reason or another the cop threatened to search my car with a drug dog. knowing i had a very small amount of pot in the car i told him i had it. very small amount, less than a joint, about one bowl. i also had a bowl with it. i got charged with a misdemeanor drug charge, pleaded no contest and served my punishment. 30 days house arrest and 1 year license suspension. that is the only time in my adult life ive ever been in trouble with the police. i have 3 speeding tickets as well as a failure to control on my driving record. all of which will be gone in 8-10 months.

Okay. From this point on keep a clean record. It may be tough sell for a couple of years because many places require a good driving record. If you have no tickets for 3 years I don't think you will have a problem. In the mean time you can get your training and take a defensive driving test.

I don't really think the pot thing be a problem. Just stay clean for the drug tests. Admit to the stupid mistake. Show them improved maturity. I think most people will understand.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
I don't really think the pot thing be a problem. Just stay clean for the drug tests. Admit to the stupid mistake. Show them improved maturity. I think most people will understand.

Going from what firecoins said also. A lot of agencies don't mandate a drug test, however they can choose to give one if they decide to.