New guy in NJ with recert. question

heen3214

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,
I'm new to the site and I have a question for NJ EMTs.

It's my understanding that if you were once a certified EMT in NJ and have let your certification lapse, you can get recertified by taking a Core 13, then take the new "state" test (although the NREMT-Basic exam is referenced in the Administrative Code, NJ is no longer using it). I've been told this by other NJ EMTs and have read the NJ Administrative Code outlining the rules for EMT training requirements, certifications, recertifications, etc. According to NJAC 8:40A-7.6, which outlines the recertification process for the expired EMTs, the following is required:
§ 8:40A-7.6 Expired certifications
(a) The requirements for certification of a person formerly certified as an EMT-Basic who has allowed that certification to expire (that is, a person who, for whatever reason, has not completed the required number of continuing education credits necessary for recertification) shall be as follows:
1. Successful completion of an approved Core 13 program; and
2. Achievement of a passing score on the NREMT-Basic Certification Examination.
(b) Upon successful completion of all of the requirements set forth in (a) above, the person shall be issued an EMT-Basic certification card, which shall be valid for a period of not less than 36, nor more than 42, months.

Now keeping all this in mind, in addition to what I’ve been told by other NJ EMTs and have read in the Administrative Code states, the NJ Dept. Health and Senior Services has come up with a rule that if the lapse is greater than 2 years, then the person has to repeat the entire EMT-Basic course. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this and if it is true, where this is written?

Thanks