Status
Not open for further replies.

Marissa McKinnon

Forum Ride Along
I work for a small BLS company that runs out of Murrieta, CA. On Tuesday I worked a 24 and was ran all night so I only got less than 1 hour of sleep. Wednesday I was supposed to get off around 7 and had to go to school around 12. Well, about 20 minutes before I was supposed to be off they sent us a call for a CCT wait and return. The call was a 2+ hour transport plus we had to wait there and come back. Normally when we take this patient the call can take 4-10 hours depending on the situation. Well, my company never really trained us about when we can/can't refuse calls. I was told that if a call would hold us over more than 2 hours past the time we are to be off then legally we can refuse. I could not miss class or I would be dropped and have to try to do an appeal to retake it blah blah blah. Well, my partner told me it would be fine if I refuse because they can't hold me over that long. I refused the call and about 6 hours later, while I'm at school my boss calls me. Apparently they gave me a final write up (even though this was my first offense) and took me off 24s for good. I'm wondering, is this legal? Was I in my legal right to refuse the call for holding me over too long? Also, is it legal for them to give me a final write up for my first offense? If anyone has links for articles I can look at for these laws I would really appreciate it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Tl;dr

We don't give out legal advice here. Talk to a lawyer.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Looking for resources? Google. Bing. Phone book. I’m not being rude or flippant. Laws vary widely from state to state. Your contract? Your company’s policy book? Talk to a lawyer.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Here is some free advice, if you are going to go on an Internet forum and ask for legal advice about employment issues...don't use your real name as your user name. You never know who is on these sites, we do have employers who post jobs and discuss topics on here.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
You probably misunderstood the company's policy. How could the crew be expected to know how long a call will take?
At my last job, we could only refuse to take a call if it was assigned to us more than 2 hours after our scheduled off time (this was all IFT). See how that makes a lot more sense?
You should probably brush up on your company's policy book before consulting a lawyer.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I recently went on a call that started just before 2am. Didn't get back till noon. 5 hrs after my shift ended, this is part of the job we do. We can't just say that we are refusing a call because we will get off late.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
From the EMTLife TOS and Rules page:
No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship
Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counselling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.​

Status
Not open for further replies.