Need help !

EMTJosh9

Forum Probie
Okay so i'm a newly licensed EMT-B , I got it about 4 months ago. So as you can assume I don't have a ton of experience in the field , however, i DO know what i'm doing.

I started a new job at which they knew I was a newly licensed EMT, finished orientation a couple days ago and now I start my FTO shifts in 4 days, then we go for 2 weeks and IF they feel we are ready they clear us , if not they give us 2 more weeks. ( 2 weeks meaning 8 shifts ) and if we do get cleared we start perm shifts the days we were assigned , mine would be may 5th.

My question is , IN YOUR EXPERIENCE ( mainly people who were new EMTS when they started working , but anyone feel free to answer ) did your FTO expect you to be a perfect EMT when you started your shifts , or does he give you some slack as long as your not brain dead?? I'm mostly nervous about driving but also about a couple other things.

I was told we learn everything about the company such as how to call in to the receiving hospital ( which i've never done ) , radio communications , driving , pt care , etcetcetc and i'm just nervous my FTO is gonna expect me to be perfect when I start

THANKS

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
It's their job to teach you. If you passed EMT class, just be ready to learn constantly during your FTO time. Don't worry about needing to have the job down on day 1. That's what those 2-4 weeks are for. Good luck!

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
I discovered that my EMT skills accounted for 2 percent of what I really needed to learn for the job and nothing prepares you for the high acuity calls that start to go bad.

Get to a point of relative comfort during FTO, but anticipate a lot of awkward moments for awhile.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
My question is , IN YOUR EXPERIENCE ( mainly people who were new EMTS when they started working , but anyone feel free to answer ) did your FTO expect you to be a perfect EMT when you started your shifts , or does he give you some slack as long as your not brain dead??

Everyone was a new EMT when they first started working, silly.

But I'm sure they are understanding. No one walks out of EMT school and is all knowing about EMS. I have trained people and I don't expect perfection. I expect effort.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
You don't become a perfect EMT until after about two months of work. Then you'll know everything about medicine and everyone else including doctors will be wrong.

You'll be nervous at first but you'll know when you know everything. :p

In seriousness though, I hope an fto doesn't expect perfection but some do. Just show you're there to do the right thing and are trying. Its always easier and more fun to help and train those that want to and are trying to learn than those who think they're perfect already.