My first medical situation

tom

Forum Crew Member
Hi,

as you can see im new here, so i didnt know what else to put, but here is my first EVER medical incident....

I was about 12, in yr 8 at school, i had just completed my First Aid Course with the Army Cadet Force. There was this diabetic in my class, and their BP and Sugar Levels had been really high recently, and they had been in and out of hospital recently. Then is RE, the collapsed and went unconcious (and hit thier head of a table, and was bleeding), i immidiatley did my AM part of AMEGR and noticed they wasnt breathing, i immidiatley checked that thier airways was clear and got a first aid kit and applied a non-absorbent sterile pad to the head wound (after clearing with antiseptic wipe) and taped on. i then started CPR and after about 2 minutes they came round, i put in recovery position until ambulance arrived. They surived and thier family and the medics praised me for my efforts and from that moment i realised i would take my medical training futher in my life.

i hope this isnt like...wierd but i am new here

Thanks
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Then is RE, the collapsed and went unconcious (and hit thier head of a table, and was bleeding), i immidiatley did my AM part of AMEGR and noticed they wasnt breathing, i immidiatley checked that thier airways was clear and got a first aid kit and applied a non-absorbent sterile pad to the head wound (after clearing with antiseptic wipe) and taped on. i then started CPR and after about 2 minutes they came round, i put in recovery position until ambulance arrived.
Tom

Not to be a pain, I know you were 12...but....

-You started CPR on an apneic patient? That would get me in a load of trouble ;) Generally I check their pulse before I qualify them for CPR.

-I also am amused at managing a scalp laceration before CPR.

Good job though I guess?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Important Lesson

You were twelve. That was your first exposure. It got you here, now you can really learn.

And, you also found out that at times there really is a margin for error. Hopefully, you also learned it's nothing to take advantage of because it is fickle!

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I've got the same story. I had a diabetic seize in front of me in the mountains of Guatemala 2 hours from the nearest hospital. I didn't have a clue what to do and I wasn't really any help at all. Couldn't even figure out how to use the stinking glucose meter.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Not to be a pain, I know you were 12...but....

-You started CPR on an apneic patient? That would get me in a load of trouble ;) Generally I check their pulse before I qualify them for CPR.

-I also am amused at managing a scalp laceration before CPR.

Good job though I guess?

yea buy laymen are taught to just start cpr if they see someone drop like that. Plus he was covered by the good samaritan law so he couldnt get in trouble.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
yea buy laymen are taught to just start cpr if they see someone drop like that. Plus he was covered by the good samaritan law so he couldnt get in trouble.

Are they? I have never taken a non-healthcare provider CPR course and did not know that. I assumed that all CPR courses would teach to check for a carotid pulse and unresponsiveness. Interesting.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
You aren't always covered by good sam law. I know of a situation where the CPR providers were busted for not checking a pulse because he seized and collapsed in public (pt was an epilleptic) and on lookers ran over, asked the wife nothing who was waiting out the seizure and began pumping his chest, breaking ribs. Man would have been fine with a blood test to check his med levels and O2, and instead was hospitalized with chest trauma. Great story to hear my paramedic friend tell and how pissed off she got with onlookers who tried to argue with her that she didn't know how to do CPR because they "brought him back".

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi,

as you can see im new here, so i didnt know what else to put, but here is my first EVER medical incident....

I was about 12, in yr 8 at school, i had just completed my First Aid Course with the Army Cadet Force. There was this diabetic in my class, and their BP and Sugar Levels had been really high recently, and they had been in and out of hospital recently. Then is RE, the collapsed and went unconcious (and hit thier head of a table, and was bleeding), i immidiatley did my AM part of AMEGR and noticed they wasnt breathing, i immidiatley checked that thier airways was clear and got a first aid kit and applied a non-absorbent sterile pad to the head wound (after clearing with antiseptic wipe) and taped on. i then started CPR and after about 2 minutes they came round, i put in recovery position until ambulance arrived. They surived and thier family and the medics praised me for my efforts and from that moment i realised i would take my medical training futher in my life.

i hope this isnt like...wierd but i am new here

Thanks
Tom

For a lad of 12 you managed to make adult decisions and take adult actions when faced with a crisis. You did a great job given your age at the time. :)

OP
OP
tom

tom

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Everyone, appreciated.

Also when i did my CPR training with the ACF we was told just to check for breath sounds, see if thier throat was clear, and see if thier chest was moving up and down. if we couldnt hear the breathing, throat was clear, and thier chest wasnt moving up and down we should start CPR

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
Are they? I have never taken a non-healthcare provider CPR course and did not know that. I assumed that all CPR courses would teach to check for a carotid pulse and unresponsiveness. Interesting.
Plenty of nurses and EMTs wouldn't know where to find a carotid pulse if the :censored::censored::censored::censored: hit the fan, the general public are even worse mongs.

OP
OP
tom

tom

Forum Crew Member
i know what you mean by general public are mongs...

i was watching a program on virgin 1 called Trauma, and there was this guy choking at the gas station, so this other bloke did the thing where you squeeze them really tight and make it look like your :censored: them, he cleared the food but he snapped a rib and punctured a lung. the guy thought he was having a heart attack and gave him CPR and just pushed the bone futher in. when paramedics arrived they had a go at the guy, and the guy dint even have CPR traning.

But then again you dont even give CPR for heart attack (even if you are a member of the public)

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
what do you mean you dont give cpr? In our 911 system even if you dont know how to give cpr the dispatcher will give your instructions if you feel comfortable.. Someone once told me if someone is having a heart attack and they do not have a pulse just giving chest compressions will help up to about 15 mins without giving rescure breaths.

OP
OP
tom

tom

Forum Crew Member
for heart attack you put them in a up-right position against a wall with legs out straight, you can give asprin and you shoudl keep them talking to prevent them going to sleep

OP
OP
tom

tom

Forum Crew Member
thats if theyre in Cardiac Arrest (heart stopped), read my post, the guy was still alive

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
for heart attack you put them in a up-right position against a wall with legs out straight, you can give asprin and you shoudl keep them talking to prevent them going to sleep

My head is starting to hurt again.

What are they teaching these people?

OP
OP
tom

tom

Forum Crew Member
im british so our treatment protocoll is different

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Dude. let me see your medic card lol. Yes if your in arrest you perform cpr. I watch trauma very fake tv show... The guy didnt check his pulse before starting cpr. If the guy had no pulse cpr would need to be followed after calling for 911.

A heart attack protocl for us is. O2, semi fowlers or suspine if there knocked out. IF there awake you call for oders for nitro. You can give that up to three times. Monitar v/s every 5 mins and rush them to a cardio hospital. We dont give them asprine unless ordered or they are perscribed by a doc i beleive.

I do how ever have a question? If there in cardio shock do you put them in the shock postion? IF they had a very high blood pressure?