Low Pressure = Chest Pain??

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
During Hurricane Dennis, in the day or so before the incidents of chest pain seemed to rise here at the ER. At that time, I chalked it all up to stress and people overworking themselves preparing for the storms arrival.

Then in the day or so before Katrina, there seemed to again be a rise in the CP complaint. Again, as we were originally in the forcast path I dismissed it as stress/overworking preparing for the storm.

But now, with Rita in the Gulf, our patients complaining of CP has seem to risen again. The last 5 patients to come through the doors (either by EMS or walkin) have been complaining of CP.

Do you suppose there is a relationship between the low pressure created by a Hurricane and medical conditions such as CP? I already know the corralation between the pressure drop and women going into labor, but what about other conditions?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe it's just "Stress Pain"? Not really cardiac, just a combination of stress, tiredness and "running around like a chicken w/ your head cut off".

Every once in a while I get 'chest pain', not really centralized, but I haven't keeled over yet. Of course I've never told my MD, and I don't plan too. I have CDS... Chronic Denial Syndrome.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Surely we all know that one of the Major Risk Factors for Heart Disease (leading to Heart Attack) is Stress... I have no doubt that you see a higher incidence of CP when stressful things like Hurricanes occur. You'll see more during Christmas too... ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Stress is really a risk factor :eek:

good question, though. Might be worth someone studying.

Jon

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
Mmmm stress. I eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I get chest pain too, but comes mostly with anxiety attacks when I'm overdoing it and don't rest, even for one day.

And, I suffer from CRS syndrome....

Can't Remember **** syndrome.

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Stress is a huge risk factor for many cardiac problems, but that does not exclude the likelihood of pressure affecting the effeciency with which th heart can pump blood. If you think of a barometer, there is a series of chambers or tubes that connect one fluid reservior to another. Now think of how a cardiovascular system is set up and it would be reasonable to assume that changing pressure can affect the efficiency of an already stressed heart, not to mention the speed at which it can supply itself.