Let's see your Protocols

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Ours are developed by the region. Currently one district within our region has opted out of the regional protocols in favor of their own. We have 4 MPD's who collaborate on ours.

Epi-do

I see dead people
We work under a set of county protocols that all of the medical directors in the county sign off on. At the end of each year they get together, review trends, look at legitimate requests by street crews with proper evidence to support them, and consider changes to the protocols for the following. My medical director is very supportive of us, and tends to be more progressive than some of the others in the county. Therefore, as long as we are doing what is in the best interest of our patients, he will allow the protocols to be stretched as far as he can possibly stretch them. Also, if we have to call in to the hospital for anything, as long as we give a good report and can justify why we want to do something, we can typically get orders for just about anything we request that is outside of our protocols. Some of the other medical directors are more rigid, and don't allow their crews as much freedom to think for themselves and act appropriately.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I had no idea that some states don't have a universal state-wide protocol set that applies to all providers, as Maryland does.
Maryland is actually the only state that I know of (off the top of my head) that does have a statewide protocol. There may be others, but I'm not aware of any.
By the same token, I'm also learning that some states do not have state-wide medical directors, that in some states, each individual service has its own? Maryland is split into four regions; with the radio, you set the channel to the one designated for your current region, and start your consult.
In the Dayton, OH area each department has it's own medical director.

Oh, and BTW, Greater Miami Valley EMS Council Basic Protocol.
Greater Miami Valley EMS Council Intermediate Protocol.
Greater Miami Valley EMS Council Paramedic Protocol.