legal issues?

ddman466

Forum Ride Along
i work at a factory here in kentucky. they have there own little first response team and where im a member of a rescue(first responder) they call me all the time. i have took there training course, all 6 hrs of it, but was wandering about any legal issues there might be. in there course they didnt teach b.p. and i had aguy that said he was having a heart attack and i took his b.p. it was140/78 p 80 res12. anyway technically i was out of the scope of practice buy there course but inline with mine. im state registered as of now, i have had the transition course that covers b.p. o2 and all. but it is a different co. fromm my squad. they keep asking if think he is having a heart att, or not. i m no dr. i treat what i find, i dont diagnos. is there any legal problem here or would this be covered under the goo sam? thanks for your help.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
In that situation I think you're covered by good sam, but it depends on the laws in your area. Regardless, as long as you remain calm and keep up the normal standard of care, you shouldn't have any problems. In a situation like that you are right not to diagnose... make sure EMS is on the way, and treat to the level you were trained. Where you could run into problems is if you don't act to your highest level of certification and something happens. Just because the rest of the squad can't take BPs doesn't mean you shouldnt - it is a non-invasive procedure that the EMTs will repeat and compare to your readings - just make sure you're good at your BP's. :)

There is insurance out there you can get to cover yourself, for about $100 a year, but in your case I don't think you need it. The people I know who have it are all volunteer ALS providers.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
To add what to what the good Captain said, I don't see much of a problem with doing something like BP. So long as you know how to do it properly, there shouldn't be any problem. The way I look at it, since its an assessment tool and not treatment, its not going to affect your patient one way or the other.

Other things, such as administration of (for example, from my scope) oral glucose or oxygen could be a problem if its done outside of a formal EMS agency, but that'll vary from state to state.

If you're really concerned with it, check with your EMS agency and see what they have to say.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
The only thing I can say that would be of harm to the patient, is if the had a shunt or something that could be affected by taking a b/p in that arm. other than that, I think that you should be fine.

In PA, I know that we are required to provide care to the level of our training and equipment we have on hand. That is state law. So here you would be fine. I don't know about where you are but always clear the extremity prior to taking a pressure. Visualize AND ask. you never know.