Lazy medics should be shot

weretiger13

Forum Probie
Reaction score
This really bothered me, so I wanted to share it. I was working an extra shift before the holiday, and so had a different partner. I am only an EMT-S, although I just passed my class for Paramedic. Anyway, we get to wake up at 3 am for "injuries from assault." The lady's brother pushed her down the basement stairs. She was c/o neck, back, R tib/fib, L hip, L wrist, L shoulder pain. She had a nice lac laterally and below her R knee. No other obvious injuries, but the MOI was there. The medic I was with walked up, ran his hand down her spine, and told her there was nothing wrong with her back (since he was too tired to go to the "trouble" of boarding her). He then proceeded to walk her out to the ambulance, then climbs in the driver seat and makes me tech. I was confounded for the longest time on how to document that one, and I don't even remember how I ended up doing it. I could have killed him. She should have been backboarded, but the lazy medic.....grrrrrrr.:angry:

So that's my story. How's everyone doing? Have a nice holiday weekend?

Just because he's a medic and you're not doesn't mean that you HAVE to ride it. You have every right to question the care that's given a patient. Not however; in front of the patient. If you felt that the patient should have been boarded (which I believe as well that she should have) then say something to you partner. If you don't then it's possible that you can be held negligent as well. Unfortunately in EMS alot of it comes down to CYA. Cover YOUR A:censored: :censored:
Also if you rode an ALS call in and documented it as a BLS call you did a huge diservice to youself not to mention possibly filed a false report. If it went to court a lawyer would quite literally rip you a new one. Don't ever let a lazy partner drag you down. Certification is hard enough to get and easy as hell to lose. If you talk to your partner and he/she blows you off and says that you don't know what you are talking about then take it to the supervisor. Don't let it fester till you're screaming at each other. You 3 have a lil pow wow but keep it calm and professional. You may even be wrong sometimes but just chalk it up to a learning experience.

It was a BLS call, so at least that part was right. If he had been my regular partner, I would have asked him (politely) to either tech it or board the patient. However, the medic I was working with was one of the oldtimers who was "grandfathered" in when MI went National Registry, and thus has the para-god attitude. I've only been in EMS 3 yrs, and he's been working in EMS for longer than I've been alive, so I didn't want to make a big scene out of it. The supervisor for that shift has been informed, and I won't be scheduled to work w/ him again. (yay) Thank you for the suggestions.

So you want absolution from everyone here? Okay, here goes... BAD paramedic! Now hold still while I whack you on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

As for you, quitcherbitching! You blew it just as much as your "lazy" partner. You accepted responsibility for this patient and therefore failed them as much as your partner did. You are an EMT-I with a whopping 3 years of experience, so you should be able to determine whether or not a patient needs to be on a board. You don't need his permission to do it, only his help. What else will this "grandfathered" paramedic do for this patient? Zip. You can start an IV yourself, monitor vital signs, and apply oxygen. What did you need him for? Nothing.

Now you have done the weasel thing and gone to the supervisor instead of trying to resolve this on your own. Yay you don't get to work with him anymore, but you can bet it will get around that you cannot be trusted to have your partner's back about things. You can bet he's saying some wonderful things about you too. It would have been the mature thing to grow a set on scene and tell him to go get the spinal equipment because you think they need a board. Now you rolled over and he got away with it, what do you think will happen next time? You'll go to the supervisor again and they'll say ,"Bad medic etc..." and it will cement your reputation as a whiner.

Better talk to him now. The longer you wait, the worse it will get.

It was a BLS call, so at least that part was right. If he had been my regular partner, I would have asked him (politely) to either tech it or board the patient. However, the medic I was working with was one of the oldtimers who was "grandfathered" in when MI went National Registry, and thus has the para-god attitude. I've only been in EMS 3 yrs, and he's been working in EMS for longer than I've been alive, so I didn't want to make a big scene out of it. The supervisor for that shift has been informed, and I won't be scheduled to work w/ him again. (yay) Thank you for the suggestions.

None of that really matters! You know what is right and wrong. You have every right to correct your partner no mater what the level of training is. You should have taken it upon yourself to back board that patient, or jump in the driver's seat and make him ride it in and fill out the call sheet on it. You don't have to go along with anyone!! It's simple! If they insist on doing the wrong thing on this call, then they RIDE IT IN! Simple... to the point! Don't let them walk over you out there!

So you want absolution from everyone here? Okay, here goes... BAD paramedic! Now hold still while I whack you on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

As for you, quitcherbitching! You blew it just as much as your "lazy" partner. You accepted responsibility for this patient and therefore failed them as much as your partner did. You are an EMT-I with a whopping 3 years of experience, so you should be able to determine whether or not a patient needs to be on a board. You don't need his permission to do it, only his help. What else will this "grandfathered" paramedic do for this patient? Zip. You can start an IV yourself, monitor vital signs, and apply oxygen. What did you need him for? Nothing.

Now you have done the weasel thing and gone to the supervisor instead of trying to resolve this on your own. Yay you don't get to work with him anymore, but you can bet it will get around that you cannot be trusted to have your partner's back about things. You can bet he's saying some wonderful things about you too. It would have been the mature thing to grow a set on scene and tell him to go get the spinal equipment because you think they need a board. Now you rolled over and he got away with it, what do you think will happen next time? You'll go to the supervisor again and they'll say ,"Bad medic etc..." and it will cement your reputation as a whiner.

Very well said! I didn't read this before I posted my reply!!! VERY GOOD POST!!!

took the words out of my mouth. if i feel im right i proceed with that notion.

Amen. tell em how it is

Sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with oldschoolmedic too. Your partner may have been the senior person on the rig, but you have as much responsibility to the patient to provide the best care you can as much as your partner does. Just because your partner has been doing it longer doesn't mean your partner can do it better then you. I've only been a basic for three years and I have had several calls when I have looked at my paramedic on the rig and said, 'do you think we should do XXXX?' Ninety percent of the time that simple question is enough for them to go, 'yeah, why not, it's certainly not going to hurt them.'

I admit that I screwed up & I should have voiced my opinion at the time, but does anybody have any advice on how I could have tactfully and unoffensively said something? I've never before been put in a situation in which I didn't agree w/ the Tx the pt received, and I had no idea of what to say. Maybe if you can help me, I'll do better in the future if put in a similar situation.

And I didn't go over the medic's head to the supervisor, I was talking w/ the medic about backboarding in general & why he didn't think she needed it when the super walked by and the medic invited him in on the conversation.

I guess the title of this post should have been asking for advice rather than complaining about the medic. I like the way wolfwyndd said to do it; are there any other thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
we live and we learn everyday. The true trick is to keep on learning, life will always have a lesson for you! :)

Next time tell the patient to stay put, and go get the equipment. Simple as that. Your partner, notice I said partner not superior, will be between a rock and a hard place. You have tactfully put them on the spot. If he wants to argue what you've done, do it after you drop the patient. Since he has been doing this a while he knows to hold off in front of the patient. Discuss later why you wanted to board the patient, AND why he did not. Compare your ideas, maybe you could learn something, and maybe he might remember why he got into this business in the first place.

Now as to the other problem, read all the other posts regarding certification level arguments. Notice the one thing they all seem to have in common? That's right they are all closed. Wonder why that is? That nonsense doesn't fly far around here. So remember that the next time you want to paint with such a broad brush. I have a partner who keeps the unit just like he keeps his house, it's a mess. He is lazy and irresponsible, but you don't see me starting posts with the title "Generation X emts are worthless" just because this kid is.

For what it's worth I would have boarded her too.

I admit that I screwed up & I should have voiced my opinion at the time, but does anybody have any advice on how I could have tactfully and unoffensively said something? I've never before been put in a situation in which I didn't agree w/ the Tx the pt received, and I had no idea of what to say. Maybe if you can help me, I'll do better in the future if put in a similar situation.

And I didn't go over the medic's head to the supervisor, I was talking w/ the medic about backboarding in general & why he didn't think she needed it when the super walked by and the medic invited him in on the conversation.

I guess the title of this post should have been asking for advice rather than complaining about the medic. I like the way wolfwyndd said to do it; are there any other thoughts?
I'm with OldSchoolMedic too.

If you have an ALS provider and a BLS provider... if the BLS provider is not comfortable with the patient, ALS needs to suck it up and ride it in. I don't care if the guy is the EMS dinasaour of the service... he still is in the wrong and being lazy. Call him on it, tactfully... telling him you'll go grab the board is one way.

As for the call being BLS vs. ALS - around here, that MOI, espicially if there was a loss of consciousness in addition - could mean a trip to the Trauma Center... which means it would be an ALS call.

As for letting the supervisor know - if you are working with someone who is just f*-ing nuts or makes you feel unsafe... you need to report that and let management handle it. You SHOULDN'T have to work with this person again until they get their act in gear.

Back