Layperson CPR and lots of electricity

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Reaction score
Thought the BLS forum would be the right place for this.
So we got toned out 7 minutes before crew exchange for ill diabetic the other morning, with about 20 minutes response time. Arrive to find BLS fire on scene. As my Paramedic partner and I walk up with the gurney, fire capt says "we shocked him three times, he's now got a pulse and were bagging with an OPA"
I'm sorry, wait, this is still the ill diabetic right? In their defense, he was diabetic and certainly a bit ill.
We find a 350lbs male wedged in a corner with his head between a desk and the wall, with the AED pads under his shirt. Two firefighters frantically bagging and trying to make a man with a gag reflex take an OPA.
Turns out, he was a witnessed arrest at work. Coworkers immediately started CPR and called 911. Hands only CPR was in progress for 10-12 minutes before nearby AED showed up. Bystanders applied the AED and shocked him 3 times.
Fire beat us by a few minutes and had just started bagging him.
Get him on the monitor with sinus tach around 108. Got him loaded, which was no easy task considering his size, and the size of the doorway allowing no more than two to carry the board. We run a 12 lead and get 2 18g IVs. 12 lead shows ST elevation and a LBBB. Still a little tachy, BPs 140/70, now with slowly improving respiratory drive. Switch him over to NRB. BGL came out to 350-ish. Coworkers report he's on numerous cardiac meds and has had an unknown cardiac surgery (turned out to be an angiogram not too long ago).
At this point he's starting to regain consciousness, GCS of 11 and combative. Ended up restraining him for the transport and he calmed down as he got less hypoxic. A few minutes out from the ER he was coherent to the point of choosing his destination.
Maybe 15-20 minutes after handing over care at the ER he's alert and oriented with a GCS of 15. I went back in and had a conversation with him, with completely appropriate responses, no neuro deficits, SPO2 at 98%. Just saying his chest was a bit sore...
Turns out his work bought upwards of 100 AEDs at the beginning of this year and had trained the entire staff. Seems to work quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect example of why everyone should be trained in even layperson cpr/aed.....you just never know.

Back