Intubation

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Few Paramedics get the chance to NT sx a patient in their clinicals but yet that is what many nursing home patients need before anything else.

The problem is getting EMT(P)s to come into these classes that have the stigma of being "BLS" or chronic care issues and not EMERGENCY stuff.

Well said.

At the last EMS Expo I attended, I remember going to see a lecture and hands-on practical station on critical interventions for the chronic care patient, and another on interventions for the chronic care child.

There were about 12 of us in those classes. At the same time, there were 100's of other providers attending lectures about intubation, cardiac arrest, and all sorts of other flashy things (I bet their Powerpoints even had siren noises).

nova5267

Forum Ride Along
I would have to disagree with most. No offense here just my outlook on it!
She is an elderly overdose patient, so you have to look at the possible complications.
While she is unresposive yet still breathing adequately, it is on the safe side to go ahead and intibate before the patient needs it because if you wait for the last minute if she DOES need it, then it may be too late and you could loose her! Your preceptor was following the CYA guideline, COVER YOUR @$$! lol He did the safe thing there is nothing wrong with thinking on the safe side of the near future! Just like when you start an IV on a patient who does not need one yet but may in the near future so you already have it when you need it! Make sense?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
SOunds like a good candidate for a nasal tube. But if what hte preceptor did worked, I can't fault it too much... but I'm just another student too...

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I would have to disagree with most. No offense here just my outlook on it!
She is an elderly overdose patient, so you have to look at the possible complications.
While she is unresposive yet still breathing adequately, it is on the safe side to go ahead and intibate before the patient needs it because if you wait for the last minute if she DOES need it, then it may be too late and you could loose her! Your preceptor was following the CYA guideline, COVER YOUR @$$! lol He did the safe thing there is nothing wrong with thinking on the safe side of the near future! Just like when you start an IV on a patient who does not need one yet but may in the near future so you already have it when you need it! Make sense?

The OP's preceptor did NOT intubate. Instead, he did a head-tilt chin-lift, placed a simple NPA, and administered oxygen with a NRB. BLS skills woot!

Nova, are you advocating for oral intubation on this patient?

I highly disagree with intubation just to be "on the safe side" and prepare for when you need it. The patient is breathing adequately for the time being. As said here by many posters, if you feel comfortable with nasal intubation (you should), or have RSI, those are okay choices. Oral intubation of this patient, just because, is a bad decision, IMO.

nova5267

Forum Ride Along
The OP's preceptor did NOT intubate. Instead, he did a head-tilt chin-lift, placed a simple NPA, and administered oxygen with a NRB. BLS skills woot!

Nova, are you advocating for oral intubation on this patient?

I highly disagree with intubation just to be "on the safe side" and prepare for when you need it. The patient is breathing adequately for the time being. As said here by many posters, if you feel comfortable with nasal intubation (you should), or have RSI, those are okay choices. Oral intubation of this patient, just because, is a bad decision, IMO.

I know he did NOT intubate, i was simply stating that if he had, it wouldnt have been a stupid call, pointless maybe, but definitely not risky. Sorry i guess i didnt fully explain in the first place!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I know he did NOT intubate, i was simply stating that if he had, it wouldnt have been a stupid call, pointless maybe, but definitely not risky. Sorry i guess i didnt fully explain in the first place!

Any intubation presents with risks.