In need of advice...

Redemption

Forum Ride Along
My name is AJ and I'm 19 years old. I'm posting here because I've been thinking about enrolling in an EMT-B program lately. Before I graduated high school (this last May) I was pretty sure I'd be heading off to this big expensive college to pursue psychology... however the economy is kind of in the pits, and I am unable to finance such an expensive college. Things got more complicated after my mom (who I live with) was transferred by her job to where we currently live. I tried applying to other schools and wasn't accepted.

I feel as if I'm not supposed to go through with the whole psychology thing. So here I am now thinking about becoming an EMT-B for a few reasons. I'm good with, and good at taking care of, people. It seems like the only program that I can a. afford and b. get into. And I'm just kind of taking it as a sign...

So I guess I wanted to ask you all for your advise. I'm so lost with life right now, almost disheartened with the way it has gone recently.

I wouldn't become an EMT out of convenience, I've given it quite a bit of thought, so it's not like I'm grasping at straws. I just need some sort of direction in my life.

Can anyone share their experiences? Why did YOU become and EMT? What regrets do you have, if any?

Thank-you all in advance.

pumper12fireman

Forum Crew Member
First off, welcome to the boards.

My experiences:

Father was a ff/medic. I was raised hearing stories about "the greatest job in the world". As I graduated from high school, I made the decision to become a firefighter/EMT, and am now in medic school. I was in a similar situation as you, I had the grades/smarts to go to college but no money/finances available to do so. I couldn't be happier with my decision. Instead of spending my life in a cubicle/office building, I get to spend it in classrooms/ambulances/fire trucks/hospitals. For ME, this was the right choice. It's obviously NOT for everyone. There are certain traits I believe a person needs to have to enjoy and be successful as emergency medical personnel. Get used to little sleep, interrupted sleep/meals/showers, etc. All types of people and their various smells, bodily fluids, etc. For some, this is a deal breaker. But, the high pressure, adrenaline rush accompained with providing care to all the sick and injured and knowing at the end of the day that you've made a difference (however small) is perfect for me, and many others in EMS.

OP
OP
Redemption

Redemption

Forum Ride Along
Well smells don't bother me to often. I've worked in nursing homes before and smelled some pretty awful things. And my most recent job was working in an ISL home with 4 DDMR adults. :) (And in no way am I saying this qualifies me to be an EMT) But it was a learning experience, and caring for people seems to be what I do best.

And my current job (cooking for 40 frat boys) sucks a big fat one.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
In the beginning, we start a path......

Hi AJ! first and foremost welcome! I think that EMS is a wonderful career and the great thing is it opens many doors to the health care field. I have know many EMT's that persuaded their training and education,and went on to become paramedics, nurses, respiratory therapists to only name a few. What ever you decide I encourage you to go to school even if it is only a couple of classes at at time. I wish you the very best and never stop learning!! :)

OP
OP
Redemption

Redemption

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm pretty decided on enrolling in the class. And I do have to say this forum is pretty entertaining.B)

artman17847

Forum Crew Member
Again welcome to the forums. You will find TONS of great info here.

I think this field is the kind of thing that you were "born" to do. Its not the kind of thing to get into because you have to, but the kind of thing to do because you want to.

You also might look into finding a volunteer squad and maybe do a ride along or become a member to find out if it is a good fit for you.

Personally I was hooked on EMS after the first episode of Emergency! (roy and johnny)

Good luck with everything!