in EMT school....have some ?'s

ACSooner80

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
I just started EMT class, and in my second week. I'm wanting to get a trauma pack, or something to carryin my personal truck. Where do you get your stuff, and also what do you carry in your personal vehicle? Also is there any place that gives students discounts? Also for a student what is the best stethoscope to get without breaking the bank?

Thanks,
AC

You can go to Galls.com or Amazon or search "EMS supplies"

I don't carry anything in my car. My stethoscope is on my rearview mirror, but that's more for police information than for patient care.

Stethoscope wise, I have a Littmann Select. Nice steth, not expensive (not cheap either) and it does the job.

Really the only thing you can use while off duty that would actually make a difference is a tourniquet.

The best scope I've ever used I adopted from work. It's one of the disposable isolation scopes and I hear fantastic with it.

I just started EMT class, and in my second week. I'm wanting to get a trauma pack, or something to carryin my personal truck. Where do you get your stuff, and also what do you carry in your personal vehicle? Also is there any place that gives students discounts? Also for a student what is the best stethoscope to get without breaking the bank?

Thanks,
AC

life-assist.com is a good place to get supplies in my opinion. I got a Sprague stethoscope for $12 & a BP cuff for $16. Don't know if it's good quality but it works great for me. Personally I think the best thing you can do if off-duty and roll up on scene is to call 9-1-1. You can open yourself up to a world of liability otherwise. The only thing I carry in my car is my pocket mask and a pair of gloves.

Like Linuss said, you can always go raid the Galls catalog or check Amazon for some EMS supplies. I don't carry anything in my personal vehicle, if I'm going on a long trip I'll carry a small first aid kit, but nothing major.

As far as stethoscopes go, I use a Littmann Master Classic II, it cost me a little over $110 w/engraving. But, a lot of people have pretty good luck with Sprague stethoscopes, and there are always the cheaper (not cheaper in quality, cheaper in price) Littmanns like the Select, Classic II, and Lightweight II.

As has been said Galls.com. About the only thing I ever carry is trauma sheers and a CPR mask, and mainly cause my Ambulance bag doubles as my EDC bag.

As far as a Stethoscope I picked up a Littman Classic II for just over $100 when I was a student and its served me well.

I carry a complete jump kit with oxygen in my truck because that's the vehicle I use to respond to all my calls in -- I live too far away from the ambulance to ever be on it while responding. I use a Littman II Classic SE scope.

our service gives us supplies to use for our personal vehicles. we put it in to a jump kit and keep it in our car, its just BLS stuff. see cause we have 1 crew on call after 6pm, if they get called out and another call comes in, then dispatch will do an All page, so we just take our personal vehicles to the scene and wait render care until someone can bring a truck down. but im pretty sure we get a majority of our stuff from galls and EMP.

I think everyone who goes through EMT school wants a trauma kit "for the car" when they get about a week in. I know i did thank god i didnt drop 500 bucks on a bag full of goodies. Give it 2 months and the desire to walk around with a back full of crap you'll never actually use will pass. Keep some gloves in your console that's all you'll ever use off duty.

Items you will need :

A cell phone = To call 911.
Gloves
Pocket Mask

It is not worth the amount of liability you open yourself up to when you try to be the good guy.

I carry a pair of gloves in my truck, I have about 5 weeks left in my class and I realized after a few rides that I don't want to lug around a trauma bag in my truck.

I carry a pair of gloves in my truck, I have about 5 weeks left in my class and I realized after a few rides that I don't want to lug around a trauma bag in my truck.

In all my years I've never had the need to carry a kit... until I started running with my current service. I mean, think back to before you were in EMT school... did you ever need one then? Just because we become EMTs doesn't mean we're all of a sudden going to come upon all kinds of sick and injured people who can benefit from our new skills.

Items you will need :

Gloves
Pocket Mask

It is not worth the amount of liability you open yourself up to when you try to be the good guy.

Depends on where he/she is located and if there is a Good Samaritan law. Im protected by the Good Samaritan law if im off duty

I second bigbaldguy, my basic class is done and over, he's about right, two weeks in I was going through the Gall's catalogs and ems websites all excited about having my own jump kit. Thank God I didn't do it! Gloves, a scope, bp cuff and pocket mask is about all you really need, but if you must go very basic and work your way up if you find yourself needing something you either don't have or can't improvise for. Good luck in class!

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a Pro-Med blow-out kit ($69.95), but then again I spend allot of time on the range or in the woods with guns and carried it before Tech school. Other than that, scope, pocket mask, and gloves; anything over and above BLS that the trained regular Joe can do is outside scope around here.

For a scope, I like the ADC 615; for me, I hear better in difficult circumstances with a single-sided.

I shop at EMP, Rescue Essentials, Remote Medical, L.A Police Gear, and Southwest Public Safety. Galls if I have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think to yourself, how many bad traumas have you come across before you were an EMT? Now that you have training do you really think this is going to change in and you will suddenly be coming across bad MVAs?

Everyone who is new fantasises about being an off duty hero. Don't let the whacker virus implanted from EMT school to take over

I don't carry anything in my car. My stethoscope is on my rearview mirror, but that's more for police information than for patient care.
Not only does the sun and heat through the windshield eventually ruin your stethoscope tubing, but hanging it there makes you a target of anti-whacker cops like me.

I've run up on exactly one wreck with an injured person, and I wasn't even in my own car, so I didn't have my (very very basic) jump bag. I wish I had had my turnout gear or at least my EMS labeled reflective vest so I didn't look like a whacker on scene when I was just trying to give a little basic help.

I think everyone who goes through EMT school wants a trauma kit "for the car" when they get about a week in. I know i did thank god i didnt drop 500 bucks on a bag full of goodies. Give it 2 months and the desire to walk around with a back full of crap you'll never actually use will pass. Keep some gloves in your console that's all you'll ever use off duty.

+1

The only thing I have ever bought for myself was a $50 Littman.

Items you will need :

Gloves
Pocket Mask

Good post... and, even if you did decide to help (CPR perhaps) you would want those items anyway. Thats what I carry.

Back