Ideas for RSI eduction

OP
OP
medicaltransient

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
"Waaaaa I wanna RSI people on an organizational level despite lacking literally all of the prerequisite support for it!"
RocketMedic; you are so immature. If you worked at my service you would not be clear to RSI just based off your attitude.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
RocketMedic; you are so immature. If you worked at my service you would not be clear to RSI just based off your attitude.

I like how he's super-vague on where he works, makes claims that the organization can handle it despite multiple levels of obstacles, and then goes on to start putting perceptions of attitude and maturity into the equation when someone gives a blunt opinion. He wants to make a few hours of "training" that will somehow confer good RSI skills. It's a horrible idea. But I'm arrogant and immature for not supporting it...

I'm just throwing this out there, but an ex-Acadian washout medic who couldn't get hired most anywhere as of last year is probably not the fountain of knowledge and instruction that he thinks he is, particularly if he is already trying to incite change in the management of his new agency to allow ventures into dangerous territory. Maybe, just maybe, you should sideline your ego for a bit and look at what you're really trying to do and what it means to your patients.

RocketMedic

As far as the procedure itself goes, medicaltransient, it seems as if your agency is ignoring most of the long-term implications and challenges posed by RSI to add a few more drugs (if you don't have it already). What numbers are we talking about here? Is there a population that you find yourself intubating frequently that would benefit from RSI? Do you have less invasive alternatives? Is your service going to buy video laryngyscopes and capnography if you don't already have it? Is your service going to reconsider a ventilator?

As for the personal insults, well, I'd greatly enjoy the chance to work a shift with you, simply in order to crush your pompous little soul into many little pieces. This is a profession where your ego and decisions can literally kill someone, and you don't get a free pass from me when you pull the self-righteous act and namedrop AEL when you're trying to suck up to your boss and get a high-risk, high-acuity cool guy skill authorized for your service without the proper supporting mechanisms. If you want to actually be an agent of positive change, open up, be willing to establish the proper groundwork first, THEN start worrying about training and minutia.

I'm disappointed that so few other posters have mentioned this. It's really not terribly important as to exactly how the procedure itself is performed when you have someone wanting to boil the whole thing down into an afternoon inservice. It's like trying to put an eighth grader into the NFL.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Look, let's give the OP a bit of a break. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that this wasn't even necessarily his idea and that this project would simply be given to someone else - perhaps someone even less qualified than him - if he declined to do it.

The reality is there are lots of resource limited services doing stuff like this. There are lots of places doing RSI with little more than an afternoon lecture and a handful of manikin scenarios. We would probably all agree that that is far from ideal and in a perfect world would never happen, but I'm sure we'd also all agree that we don't live in a perfect world.

I have some ideas on how I'd structure this program that I'll outline later on when I have more time.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Rocketmedic , while you make some good points I question your delivery. The OP has been respectful and willing to listen to questions, concerns and criticisms. Frankly, I think you are the one who is coming off as self righteous. Your approach is more likely to shut down conversation than educate. Everyone else was able to voice criticism in a civil manner.

I don't personally think that Paramedic RSI is a good idea outside of select services with extensive education / training, but the OP can't bear the whole burden of the failures of the US EMS system. Many services RSI who have no business doing so. At least he/she is taking the implementation of an RSI program seriously. I think what is showing here is general lack of experience clouded by enthusiasm. I hope that the concerns raised in this discussion will be taken seriously and that the medical director(s) will do more than rubber stamp this process.

RocketMedic

It's mostly because I personally detest him.