I just applied to CARE ambulance.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Look. It's a great place to work. YOU DONT have to wait a year for a "911 shift". That's just false. If you are going the fire route, I highly suggest getting onto the Anaheim/fullerton or even La Habra in house shifts. A lot of those guys get picked up fairly quickly. Care also has in house with San Clemente and Westminster (rip ET65). Garden Grove just started dispatching Care Grove units instead of Care dispatch. -the shift to be on in my opinion-
Just like every other place. Get to know your firefighters and just lesson. Lessoning is key.

One last thing. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself against management. If something is not fair. Speak up.

Other than this. You'll be fine. If you have any other questions about hospitals in the area and or how a shift is like. Message me ;)

Cowboy

Forum Probie
Unless they have changed it due to expanding contracts and areas then yes a year is what you have to wait until you can get a fire shift that is yours. Picking up OT shifts on a 911 car is easy and of course you do not have to wait a year to pick those up.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Unless they have changed it due to expanding contracts and areas then yes a year is what you have to wait until you can get a fire shift that is yours. Picking up OT shifts on a 911 car is easy and of course you do not have to wait a year to pick those up.
No. If anything new folks are getting on 911 shifts a lot sooner with these new contracts. 24 hr shifts and day/night shifts. I got one 2 months in when I started working. Only reason you wouldn't be getting a 911 shift in a year is if your not bidding.

BryanR

Forum Probie

I got a fire shift less than a month in...
I know multiple people who have been here for like 5 months and already have in house shifts.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I got a fire shift less than a month in...
I know multiple people who have been here for like 5 months and already have in house shifts.
Or you can always have a stand alone station that out does county fire's up the road:
IMG_0423.PNG

VentMonkey

Family Guy
To be fair, this station houses two units that, more often than not, hardly see it enough to break it in. It's the newest one, but all of our older stations end up get facelifted fairly frequently.

wtferick

Forum Captain
To be fair, this station houses two units that, more often than not, hardly see it enough to break it in. It's the newest one, but all of our older stations end up get facelifted fairly frequently.
I made a visit to the main headquarters in Bakersfield. Very tempting haha

Reactions: NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I made a visit to the main headquarters in Bakersfield. Very tempting haha
Didn't even say hi?

Rosamond isn't bad either. And both crews there see it plenty.
9bad295dce9d93639b693d0228435f7a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Forum Probie
That's good. Like I said when I was there a few years ago they weren't getting in them that fast. And friends that still work there have said they weren't able to get on until just about the year mark. Good for you guys running wth fire so soon. Still doesn't make care this amazing place to work tho. It still definitely has its bad moments but I guess so do all the other companies.

DME107

Forum Probie
I wouldn't apply to care right now unless you are willing or want to work out of Irwindale or Baldwin park. We really need help in the new areas. Simply not enough day cars staffed for Pomona right now.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I agree. Care does not have enough employees to cover the contracts.
I wouldn't apply to care right now unless you are willing or want to work out of Irwindale or Baldwin park. We really need help in the new areas. Simply not enough day cars staffed for Pomona right now.
Give it time. I'm sure they'll suck up a plethora of Irwindale, and P-town folks. This was the exact predicament they faced in 2007, and much to their credit, handled it quite well.

They double cover everything, and there are dozens upon dozens of doey-eyed EMT's salivating over (insert huge gag here-->mildly aspirating bile) "fire shifts". They'll have these areas covered well in no time I imagine.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Give it time. I'm sure they'll suck up a plethora of Irwindale, and P-town folks. This was the exact predicament they faced in 2007, and much to their credit, handled it quite well.

They double cover everything, and there are dozens upon dozens of doey-eyed EMT's salivating over (insert huge gag here-->mildly aspirating bile) "fire shifts". They'll have these areas covered well in no time I imagine.
I agree. Surpringly many AMR EMTs thought they would automatically become Care employees if they worked the day before the change lol. Just silly.

DME107

Forum Probie
I agree. Surpringly many AMR EMTs thought they would automatically become Care employees if they worked the day before the change lol. Just silly.

This.

And care didn't have the number of EMT's switch that they thought would. The schedule definitely has more (S) then (A) on it right now.