i chickened out

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
so for awhile now I've been going back and forth on life decisions. i went to school, got EMT state certified, worked my *** off. and then it came time to apply for fire academy. i was always a little nervous, there were certain parts of the course that just scared me a bit you know. but i figured well i can power through, i can do it. and it came time to apply and i couldn't do it, i chickened out. i let it get to me. and so I've had to choose another path to go down. but i still wonder if i should have just sucked it up and done it and not let it get to me -_-

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Why does it have to be the fire route? Have you considered utilizing your EMT cert on the ambulance, or moving up to paramedic. There are some good opportunities for non-fire paramedics.

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
it doesn't have to be fire that was just the end result i was hoping for. and it seems since then i've gotten discouraged i suppose. i am still considering paramedic options

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
i guess i just felt that if i couldn't go through with fire since i guess i psyched myself out about going through some of the training i just got discouraged thinking that i just couldn't do it

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
i guess i just felt that if i couldn't go through with fire since i guess i psyched myself out about going through some of the training i just got discouraged thinking that i just couldn't do it

Fire/EMS training is aimed specifically at building confidence and showing you that you can do it. Fire training gets to many people with it's extreme environments. It's hard to defeat those feelings, but it is possible. I'm, currently in a FF1 class, with people that initially panicked in SCBA, and even a few who were not big on heights. They have pushed through those feelings with their classmates, and are now doing it all without any hesitation.

Once you overcome the first hurdle it gets better and normally instructors are pretty helpful, at least ones at volunteer academies. If you want to do fire you can do it.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

You'll never know if you could or couldn't do it if you didn't try

A old metaphor told to me by a teacher when I was in Automotive Tech school.

"Its better to try and to fail, than it is to never try at all"

Basically try and if you don't succeed you know where you stand does that make you a failure. No it just shows your weak points.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
You'll never know if you could or couldn't do it if you didn't try

A old metaphor told to me by a teacher when I was in Automotive Tech school.

"Its better to try and to fail, than it is to never try at all"

Basically try and if you don't succeed you know where you stand does that make you a failure. No it just shows your weak points.

That. When I was enrolled into a academy I was nervous as hell and wanted to back out at the last minute. Thank God I didn't it was one of the best fun I've ever had, learned a bunch of new things and met some great people. Just got to take it one step at a time and overcome the barriers. Just because your a EMT doesn't mean you have to go fire. There's many other avenues of approach for you to look at if you don't want to go fire.