How to volunteer

foreverunemployed

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a phlebotomist, not an EMT, but thought to post here because I couldn't find any active forum for phlebotomists. I have no job experience, though, which is why I've been looking for some volunteer opportunity.

Thing is, I'm not sure how to approach a clinic and offer to work there for free. (The Red Cross and major hospitals are off-limits.) I'm thinking I have a better chance if I show up in person rather than resorting to e-mail/phone calls, but even then I don't know who to talk to... or how to "sell" myself. I've found that I'm actually very passive, and once I'm told "no" I meekly back off and say "thank you" without further argument.

Does anyone here maybe know what the attitude that "insiders" have toward people who randomly stop by and offer to volunteer (so I could come up with a better strategy)? Or better yet, does anyone here who's been in my position know what to do... at all? I'd like to get some practice before I forget everything there is to know about drawing blood. :unsure:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Most hospitals have voluneer offices. Hospital volunteers don't do phelbotomy.

Hi. I'm a phlebotomist, not an EMT, but thought to post here because I couldn't find any active forum for phlebotomists. I have no job experience, though, which is why I've been looking for some volunteer opportunity.

Thing is, I'm not sure how to approach a clinic and offer to work there for free. (The Red Cross and major hospitals are off-limits.) I'm thinking I have a better chance if I show up in person rather than resorting to e-mail/phone calls, but even then I don't know who to talk to... or how to "sell" myself. I've found that I'm actually very passive, and once I'm told "no" I meekly back off and say "thank you" without further argument.

Does anyone here maybe know what the attitude that "insiders" have toward people who randomly stop by and offer to volunteer (so I could come up with a better strategy)? Or better yet, does anyone here who's been in my position know what to do... at all? I'd like to get some practice before I forget everything there is to know about drawing blood. :unsure:

why are hospitals & the red cross off limits? maybe where u went to get ur phleb. cert u can ask them about job placement?

I worked as a Lab Assistant II (Phlebotomist) once upon a time. Go to the website of some local hospitals, look for a position in "Lab" under the name "Lab Assistant II".

Volunteer Phlebotomist

If I may make a suggestion, try here.

medicalreservecorps.gov

Let us know what you think.

I am volunteering as an EMT and the problem with that is the service is not so buzy these days.

If I were under 42, I would join the Army Reserve and if I were under 35, I would do a tour in some branch of the military.

When I was 41.999 years old, I was about to sign up and discovered I had a hernia and there was not enough time to repair it before I turned 42. When I was under 35 I was lazy and delusional.

If I could do it all over again I would have joined some branch of the military.

As far as phlebotomy, I would contact every possible place that hires them.

Maybe ask your school if they could arrange some sort of internship for you ?

Most hospitals have voluneer offices. Hospital volunteers don't do phelbotomy.

Exactly.

why are hospitals & the red cross off limits?

They're more selective and have a reputation to protect, and their volunteer coordinators insist that I can volunteer... just not as a phlebotomist. Even the clinical portion of my training was done at free clinics. I once saw an ad that allows "entry level" phlebotomist and the job was in prison. Maybe I should start volunteering at prisons maybe?

I worked as a Lab Assistant II (Phlebotomist) once upon a time. Go to the website of some local hospitals, look for a position in "Lab" under the name "Lab Assistant II".

I would, but not enough experience, and I think I'm only qualified to be Lab Assistant I.

maybe where u went to get ur phleb. cert u can ask them about job placement?

Maybe ask your school if they could arrange some sort of internship for you ?

I've come to realize (a little too late, unfortunately) that the place I went to was for-profit and wouldn't care a bit if its students couldn't find any employment afterward. :glare:

They said that everything would be okay as long we have a certain number of successful venipunctures, but every job ad I've seen requires at least 6 months of experience, and most of them prefer "in a hospital setting."

medicalreservecorps.gov

I'll check it out.

If I were under 42, I would join the Army Reserve and if I were under 35, I would do a tour in some branch of the military.

This is an interesting idea. Anyone else have more information (a website, perhaps?) on how to do this? (Assuming the website in the previous quotation isn't the one I'm looking for?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back