How available are 68W positions nowadays?

ken158

Forum Crew Member
Reaction score
I'm about to take the ASVAB and join the Army. I already have an EMT-B in CA, but it's been about half a year since I took the National Registry and I haven't had time to recert. I thought it would be pretty appropriate if I joined as a 68W.

My recruiter told me that it could be a while until a 68W position comes through, and even if it does I may have to wait for a while for the ship date.

Can anyone tell me how the situation is for the Army and 68W's?

Everything is dependent upon class load at Fort Sam Houston and projected needs of the Army. With the drawdown, it's a pretty hard time to be coming in, but keep at it! The active army always *needs* medics, but it's the size of classes that limits us.

Try one of the other branches, and let your recruiter know that you'll wait for a 68W position. Also, do look at other 68-series jobs, to include medical maintenance and the radiation techs. An active-duty 68W is either a sweet tac-med EMT-I at best (if the stars align and you're on an infantry company) or a beast of uneducated burden. 68-radiation tech, on the other hand, gets real-world (civilian) certification. 68A (Med maintenance) gets licenses.

You can get your EMS fix part-time after AIT pretty much anywhere, I did for years.

Back