Help me ambulance mechanic please!

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
well iam saying, where the stock inverter was mounted, theres two large copper cables, black and red, that supplied the 12volt dc to run the inverter. so if I hook anything ,like a battery charger. it should energize the 12 volt dc system ,just like using the batteries.. does that sound right

I wouldn't count on it. I'd check carefully to see where those wires originated. If you just connect your AC to DC converter to them, you might be energizing something that you didn't plan on energizing.

OP
OP
blackturbo

blackturbo

Forum Crew Member
well no, iam saying everything is gonna be dc volts. the 12 volt electrical system powered the inverter, as it was a dc to ac inverter. Iam talking about putting a dc power source,like a battery charger,, to put power into the 12 volt system without switching on the batteries. the goal is to use my own dc power source to power the 12 volt electrical system, without having to switch on the battery switch. the system first goes to the driver seat dual battery switch, then theres another master switch on the front driver side console with the emergency lights and also activates 12 volt power to the box. Iam trying to power the box part without having to use the trucks batteries,for like when iam parked dont wanna drain the trucks batteries, but instead of hooking a battery charger on the batterys, i wanna have a dc power source inside the box part

Last edited by a moderator:

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
I understand what you're trying to do. The switch on the console is the "master" switch. The module should be cut off when that switch is turned to off.

I was just trying to point out that you need to make sure that none of that is actually energized (back fed) when you power the module directly from a DC source. The master switch should activate a relay that turns on the module power. That's the design. Just make sure everything works properly before you power it up.

well no, iam saying everything is gonna be dc volts. the 12 volt electrical system powered the inverter, as it was a dc to ac inverter. Iam talking about putting a dc power source,like a battery charger,, to put power into the 12 volt system without switching on the batteries. the goal is to use my own dc power source to power the 12 volt electrical system, without having to switch on the battery switch. the system first goes to the driver seat dual battery switch, then theres another master switch on the front driver side console with the emergency lights and also activates 12 volt power to the box. Iam trying to power the box part without having to use the trucks batteries,for like when iam parked dont wanna drain the trucks batteries, but instead of hooking a battery charger on the batterys, i wanna have a dc power source inside the box part

OP
OP
blackturbo

blackturbo

Forum Crew Member
ok thanks thanks for the help. i think i found that relay, and the main power cables with the solenoid i think i will connect it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
blackturbo

blackturbo

Forum Crew Member
Ok i have found the relay,that is connected to the main power switch on driver side console that powers the patient area. all the relays,etc. are in, what i call the "avionics hole" (refering to the little area underneath an airliner cockpit that houses all the wiring,relays,etc.) the cabinet is right behind the driver side cab, inside the patient area, behind the paramedic jumpseat. the relay connects to a big solenoid with all the main copper wires (and the inverters power wires connect here too that was removed from it) . SO iam sure if I put my own DC power source there it will power the module or patient area without the use of the trucks batterys. so what do you think about my plan? ill try it with a low 10 amp 12 volt power supply first before i put my 50amper on it.

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
So, you plan to permanently disconnect the module from the chassis batteries? If so, then that will work fine I think.

Ok i have found the relay,that is connected to the main power switch on driver side console that powers the patient area. all the relays,etc. are in, what i call the "avionics hole" (refering to the little area underneath an airliner cockpit that houses all the wiring,relays,etc.) the cabinet is right behind the driver side cab, inside the patient area, behind the paramedic jumpseat. the relay connects to a big solenoid with all the main copper wires (and the inverters power wires connect here too that was removed from it) . SO iam sure if I put my own DC power source there it will power the module or patient area without the use of the trucks batterys. so what do you think about my plan? ill try it with a low 10 amp 12 volt power supply first before i put my 50amper on it.

OP
OP
blackturbo

blackturbo

Forum Crew Member
No, iam just gonna connect into it with my own 12 volt power source to power it when iam parked, so i keep the master battery switch off and not use the trucks batteries. but when iam driving or using batterys, i wont be using my aux power source..

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
No, iam just gonna connect into it with my own 12 volt power source to power it when iam parked, so i keep the master battery switch off and not use the trucks batteries. but when iam driving or using batterys, i wont be using my aux power source..

I would just keep the two separate, which means you have to always remember to disconnect the power supply before you turn on the module master switch.

OP
OP
blackturbo

blackturbo

Forum Crew Member
i forgot to mention, ill be getting my ac power when iam parked via a small generator, that will power my aux 12 volt dc source that will feed the module with the power

OP
OP
blackturbo

blackturbo

Forum Crew Member
actually, ive decided not to back feed the system, and run seperate cables to a battery that will provide 50 amps , so that will keep the battery charged too. I already have low amperage, 10 amp chargers on each battery to help keep them charged, but anything over a 10amp draw and they shut down. and according to my voltage and amps gauge in the truck, it draws about 12-15 amps just to power up the module,not running any lighting or anything. so i have a pyramid regulated 50 amp power supply ill just hook straight to a battery and only switch to that battery when iam parked to power up my dc system.

OP
OP
blackturbo

blackturbo

Forum Crew Member
Ok all works OK,, Ive made a system, where i feed my power to battery one, with a cutoff switch. and I have the power now i need to run everything in the ambulance while iam parked,, well not on max,lol... my code 3 lightbar sucks 63 amps with it all lit up , there was a basic code 3 bar that was on the truck, but since ive added it with take downs, and everything else u can jam into a code 3.., ive learned from the previous company, there was a 200amp dc power supply that kept both batteries charged at all times, and also supplied power to run all the lighting and extras , but this was high dollar and was removed before i got the ambulance. but my 50 amp supply will do me good while camping..