GS, a definition please!

Bruiser

Forum Ride Along
Georgia street lift. originally used by LAFD to lift drunks up from the sidewalk of Georgia street in Los Angeles. its basically a 2 person lift. one person gets behind the patient and places their arms under the patients armpits and grabs the opposite wrist so as you form 2 X's and the other person would lift the legs.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Someone in the other thread said it was no longer considered a standard (he was from Los Angeles). It's definitely a local standard.

Just wondering what others use in other parts of the country as your go-to way putting patients on the gurney. Say those sitting on the couch that can't walk or don't want them to walk and you can't get gurney close enough for a stand/pivot.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
in the 7 years I have been at it, GS means "Georgia Street lift", person one behind the back through the armpits and holds onto the wrist of the PT, person two grabs the knees/ankles and off you go, it is super easy.

that said, I have heard all sorts of explanations of how it got its name and I dont believe any of them. anyone from SoCal should know it as it is taught at every EMT/Medic school I know of. many of the guys in the bay area should know it as well.

cmf979

Forum Ride Along
I have heard it stands for Georgia scoop dating back to the civil war as a way they carried wounded soldiers off the battlefield. No idea if its true that's just the only explanation I have gotten

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You sure he didn't say this is BS?

rfdffpm

Forum Ride Along
Georgia Street

Georgia Street Lift (GS) is a technique that was used at the Georgia Street receiving hospital next to the LAPD Georgia Street. The ambulances when backed up to the receiving loading dock or ramp, the crews could not get the gurney out of the ambulance due to the height of the dock not matching up to the ambulance. The personnel would have the patient cross their arms across the chest, one person would get behind the patient and go under the arms and grab the wrist of the patient. The other person would grab the legs. They would then move the patient to another gurney or wheelchair off of the ambulance gurney or the other way. The Georgia Street Hospital and PD station no longer exist. The station was moved to the Hollywood Station.

The Georgia Street Ambulances also called "G" units loaded the patient into the ambulance feet first, just FYI. The "G" unit terminology was referred to by LAPD on dispatch request and for calling the car on the radio, such as "G-11"

This technique is still taught in SoCAL and still heavily used.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Georgia Street Lift (GS) is a technique that was used at the Georgia Street receiving hospital next to the LAPD Georgia Street. The ambulances when backed up to the receiving loading dock or ramp, the crews could not get the gurney out of the ambulance due to the height of the dock not matching up to the ambulance. The personnel would have the patient cross their arms across the chest, one person would get behind the patient and go under the arms and grab the wrist of the patient. The other person would grab the legs. They would then move the patient to another gurney or wheelchair off of the ambulance gurney or the other way. The Georgia Street Hospital and PD station no longer exist. The station was moved to the Hollywood Station.

The Georgia Street Ambulances also called "G" units loaded the patient into the ambulance feet first, just FYI. The "G" unit terminology was referred to by LAPD on dispatch request and for calling the car on the radio, such as "G-11"

This technique is still taught in SoCAL and still heavily used.
Thank you sir!