going to start EMT class. questions about FDNY EMT

rururu12

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys,
don't know if this is the right place to post but I had a couple of questions about FDNY EMT. Looking to start an EMT class and take the certification test in June 2007. how do I go about getting a job with the FDNY after that. How long is the process, what is the outlook and what can one realistically expect to make their first year, working plenty of OT and holidays....
thanks

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
......working plenty of OT and holidays....

Working plenty of OT and Holidays is the surest route to burnout that I've seen. If you want to assure yourself a long illustrious career in EMS, work your shift, an occasional OT when you have to and those holidays you are scheduled. You may not make as much on each check in the beginning, but will have a career instead of a short term job.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Hey guys,
don't know if this is the right place to post but I had a couple of questions about FDNY EMT. Looking to start an EMT class and take the certification test in June 2007. how do I go about getting a job with the FDNY after that. How long is the process, what is the outlook and what can one realistically expect to make their first year, working plenty of OT and holidays....
thanks

there is an application process of sorts. They have full time positions only. You do 5-8 hour shifts instead of 3-12 hour shifts. They do backround check. You must be an EMT and have a valid driver's license with prtty good if not perfect driving record.

OP
OP
R

rururu12

Forum Ride Along
thanks for the response.
do you know how long that proces might take? sorry, just curios if i'm looking at like a few months or a few years....

firecoins

IFT Puppet
thanks for the response.
do you know how long that proces might take? sorry, just curios if i'm looking at like a few months or a few years....

I don't work for them but I can't imagine it being more than a few months. I can't find the link to FDNY with the EMT stuff on it but its out there.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Really well in comparison to agencies Maine?