Glucometer Blood...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by CodeSurfer@Jun 18 2005, 11:47 PM
But if it's borderline high, wouldnt it be probably high? And vice versa for borderline low. It seems like you should be able to get a reading good enough to know if your pt is going to go into a diabetic coma or has DKA.
and, if you are getting 80 or below, it is probably 70 or lower..... so hit 'em with the d50.

Jon

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Maybe take one from the IV site and if the reading is borderline poke em and do it from capillary blood. Takes an extra step, but it would be good to be sure.

911 DJ

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by emtal233@May 20 2005, 10:38 PM
Usually when obtaining a blood sample using a glucometer, the meters are only calibrated for capillary blood not venous unless it states you can.
Bravo!
Most glucometers are not calibrated for venous blood. In fact, a recent study states "While a drop of venus blood may be used to measure blood glucose levels with the glucometer, this practice appears to overestimate the venous plasma glucose levels from the laboratory by about 18 mg/dL."

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by 911 DJ+Jul 5 2005, 08:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (911 DJ @ Jul 5 2005, 08:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-emtal233@May 20 2005, 10:38 PM
Usually when obtaining a blood sample using a glucometer, the meters are only calibrated for capillary blood not venous unless it states you can.
Bravo!
Most glucometers are not calibrated for venous blood. In fact, a recent study states "While a drop of venus blood may be used to measure blood glucose levels with the glucometer, this practice appears to overestimate the venous plasma glucose levels from the laboratory by about 18 mg/dL." [/b][/quote]
I'd like to see the study....

Because I'd like to back up it when I do that...

CanuckEMT

Forum Ride Along
It is very commonplace around here to take the blood out of the angiocath post iv start.
We use Bayer elite glucometers and I have never experianced a large confliction between my reading and the one the nurses take at the hospital.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by medic 4-2@Jul 12 2005, 08:17 AM
use the iv its easier to get the blood. saves the pt a stick
No way, poke em! "This won't hurt (me) a bit"

:lol:

I vary from place to place, every week when testing my bgl. Most of the time, I use my left hand, Thumb. I also use my left and right forearm. My doctor said once, that if I was so weak that I was unable to load my lancet pen, that I could just use the lancet and poke the top side of my leg, just above the knee and get the same results, with less pain. Plus it would always be hidden, and no red marks on my arms. I have to wear my diabetic bracelet when I am in public b/c some people thing the lancet marks are something else, if you get my drift. I try to concentrate them in one area, but it gets painful after a while.

Maybe some day they'll make a meter that acts like a pulse ox, and requires no blood or poking. :(

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 6 2005, 06:30 PM
:lol: Maybe some day they'll make a meter that acts like a pulse ox, and requires no blood or poking.
That would be great.

Isn't there a "watch" that works by sampling the sweat, or skin conductivity or something? I've heard they are ourtageously expensive, and like, leased for a day so your doc can measure blood glucose over the whole day.

I'm sure there is technology out there, and if you were a millionare, you might even be able to afford it.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Aug 6 2005, 06:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Aug 6 2005, 06:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Aug 6 2005, 06:30 PM
:lol: Maybe some day they'll make a meter that acts like a pulse ox, and requires no blood or poking.
That would be great.

Isn't there a "watch" that works by sampling the sweat, or skin conductivity or something? I've heard they are ourtageously expensive, and like, leased for a day so your doc can measure blood glucose over the whole day.

I'm sure there is technology out there, and if you were a millionare, you might even be able to afford it.

Jon [/b][/quote]
Not that I know of, I get the general idea, like that girl on Panic Room. But I really have no idea.