flag on uniform

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
In my "other" job I hang tons of flag decals on police, fire, and ems cars and trucks. I always found it easy to remember. Stars always forward or first. The exception to the rule would be if for example the "decal" has a pole to it. then it can fly either way but only if there is a pole otherwise stars first.

mikie

Forum Lurker
As for the reversed flags, the original reason (because there's a good chance someone will eventually ask you why your flag is "backwards") was because the patch is supposed to be oriented as if it were a flag being flown from your body. If you were rushing into battle, the stars would be towards the front (normal orientation on the left arm, reversed on the right arm). The only time it would be normally oriented on your right arm/reversed on your left arm would be if you were running backwards, i.e. retreating from battle.

Wow-I never knew that. That explains why on military aircrafts, such as Air Force One, it's "backwards" on the starboard side.

Cool!

medic8613

Forum Crew Member
I haven't read many of the posts, but I can tell you this much: It does not matter what arm it goes on, and the stars can face either way. As long as it is not upside down it is proper "flag etiquette." The stars facing forward is a pretty new thing, and contrary to tradition. As the name, "reverse field flag" would suggest, it is the reverse of what has traditionally been done. Its done no so it looks like the flag is charging forward instead of going the other way.