FD Emplyment Requirments

DrScienceSpaceCat

Forum Ride Along
Hello friends, I'm new here so I might as well start off with a newby question:

I'm about to get my EMT-B certification (just need to take the written) and am considering making a career out of it; but to work at a fire department would I need to have a FF cert. Or would I potentially be able to get hired as an EMT and just run calls with an ambulance?
Not sure of it differs to location but I'm in Lynchburg, Va.

Thanks!

Generic

Forum Crew Member
This will depend on the type of system a fire department runs as there are several different setups depending on the fire department. Most fire departments that run ambulances use firefighter/paramedics (or FF/EMTs) and they are civil service employees. You have to be a firefighter in order work at that department.

Some other fire departments employee civilian EMTs and paramedics under the umbrella of the fire department. You do not have to be a firefighter. This usually happened when a city public health department that runs ambulances merges or goes under the umbrella of the fire department. Civilian EMTs/paramedics in the fire department. Then there are some departments that just want to hire civilians to run their ambulances.