EMT/Fire Fighters and gun control

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I second that, it would be about as effective as bringing a knife to a gun fight, eitherway you are on the loosing side.

I have lived and worked with cop my whole life. I would like to have something rather then nothing when a gun is pulled. I can see if a gun was pulled on my there is little I could do with a tazer, but my partner my see that I need help and he can use his in the even that I am unable to get away!!

FTRPO

Forum Crew Member
Good stuff, some of you have made some really good points some not so much. Forgive me for replying to comments that were posted earlier in the board but I couldnt get past some of them. I know that there are some out there with law enforcement experience and I would appreciate if you would confirm that an officer is not going to ever fire his gun unless he is shooting to kill. RMSP05 thats why there are two shots in the chest and one in the head. To those of you who have said that a gun can be used against you but are for the tazer what makes you think the tazer cant be used against you. And yes tazers can be lethal too. To those that think the citizens will think that every EMT is carrying after one incident are wrong. You dont assume that every citizen is carrying in states that concealed carry is permitted. What about those that think retreating is the answer, you may not always have the opportunity to run and personally I would prefer to put every bullet available to me in the individual who has decided to try and take my life. Veneficus you act like the EMT's are just going to go into a house and shoot the bystanders and get to work, why was the women and two children shot just because the EMT was allowed to carry a gun? Yes Clarkkent you are there to save lives and not take them but there may come a time when you need to take a life to prevent your own death. There was an incident a while ago where a deputy medic in michigan shot a guy and got to work on bringing him back. It is possible. Also this is a concealed carry permit you arent going to be mistaken for a cop when your gun is never going to be visible. Im not attacking anyone Im just saying some of you are being a little far fetched with your comments and as pointed out before your what ifs are a little extreme. And reaper you made some very valid points and I enjoyed everyone of them but I jsut wanted you to know that you would never be able to draw an ankle holster and shoot before someone could take two steps. It has been proven in police academies across the world that an officer cant pull his gun aim and shoot in time to stop a suspect at just 21 feet away. Again Im not going after anyone I just wanted to try and let you all see the other side of things I look forward to hearing from all of you. Oh and what makes some of you think that all of the sudden people are going to want to kill all of the EMT's because they might be carrying concealed. This isnt realistic.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Good stuff, some of you have made some really good points some not so much. Forgive me for replying to comments that were posted earlier in the board but I couldnt get past some of them. I know that there are some out there with law enforcement experience and I would appreciate if you would confirm that an officer is not going to ever fire his gun unless he is shooting to kill. RMSP05 thats why there are two shots in the chest and one in the head. To those of you who have said that a gun can be used against you but are for the tazer what makes you think the tazer cant be used against you. And yes tazers can be lethal too. To those that think the citizens will think that every EMT is carrying after one incident are wrong. You dont assume that every citizen is carrying in states that concealed carry is permitted. What about those that think retreating is the answer, you may not always have the opportunity to run and personally I would prefer to put every bullet available to me in the individual who has decided to try and take my life. Veneficus you act like the EMT's are just going to go into a house and shoot the bystanders and get to work, why was the women and two children shot just because the EMT was allowed to carry a gun? Yes Clarkkent you are there to save lives and not take them but there may come a time when you need to take a life to prevent your own death. There was an incident a while ago where a deputy medic in michigan shot a guy and got to work on bringing him back. It is possible. Also this is a concealed carry permit you arent going to be mistaken for a cop when your gun is never going to be visible. Im not attacking anyone Im just saying some of you are being a little far fetched with your comments and as pointed out before your what ifs are a little extreme. And reaper you made some very valid points and I enjoyed everyone of them but I jsut wanted you to know that you would never be able to draw an ankle holster and shoot before someone could take two steps. It has been proven in police academies across the world that an officer cant pull his gun aim and shoot in time to stop a suspect at just 21 feet away. Again Im not going after anyone I just wanted to try and let you all see the other side of things I look forward to hearing from all of you. Oh and what makes some of you think that all of the sudden people are going to want to kill all of the EMT's because they might be carrying concealed. This isnt realistic.

I was referring specifically to my experience that less experienced people tend to wield firearms a bit recklessly in the euphoria of being armed. I am sure if you have been around firearms for any length of time you have witnessed this.

fmrpddisp

Forum Probie

It is my opinion and understanding of the laws of the State of Arizona that an officer does not shoot to kill, rather to stop the threat. Granted, one is most assuredly the same, however vocabulary is everything.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
And, of course, the double-tap that is taught in training completely falls apart in actual application, where the officer just starts blasting wildly. It is EXTREMELY rare to find, on autopsy, that an officer actually practiced the double-tap on someone.

gmartin0814

Forum Probie
If you are called to a scene, 1st thing is the scene size up, if the scene is not safe, call PD!! I feel that EMTs carrying a gun could end up causing a problem!