EMT coming from Ireland

bluesandtwos

Forum Ride Along
Hi Folks.

I am currently studying to be an EMT in the Republic of Ireland.
EMT's, Paramedics and Advanced paramedics are regulated and registered with the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council of Ireland (PHECC).

When I have completed my course and examinations I will be registered with PHECC to practice in Ireland.

I am planning on doing some travelling in the next few years in the US and am wondering how I could possibly go about getting national certification in the states. I have looked around on NREMT's website and cannot find any information for foreign applicants.
Please find below link to the skills matrix that EMT's in Ireland are able to carry out. I would be very grateful if anybody could advise me on what I need to do and how to go about doing it. Thanks

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Foreign applicants are basically told sorry either train all over again or for Paramedic (Irish Advanced Paramedic) you can find a program that is willing to attest to you having equal or higher knowledge and skill as a US P and you can take the tests.

Do you have US citizenship or are you a legal permanent resident? If not you are SOL mate, Paramedic alone will not get you a work visa.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I would be very grateful if anybody could advise me on what I need to do

You need a visa to be able to live and work in the US (as with US citizens if they wanted to work in Ireland). EMS is not a job in such high demand as to be worthy of foreign national visas to fill in the gaps.

Unless you already have an "in", you may have quite a challenge ahead.

I suppost you could always try here...

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

bluesandtwos

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your replies.
Hypothetically, if I had my visa sorted, would it be possible to bring my qualification over and have it recognized or will I have to do all my training from start to finish again?

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't say for sure, but I know it is a big enough ball ache to get reciprocity between certain US states. You would need to make state-specific enquiries.

That is assuming of course, that you are in possession of a US passport or LPR card right now.

Last edited by a moderator: