EMT Basic Training programs in Houston/The Woodlands

BoyMom129

Forum Ride Along
I’ve spent two days on the phone trying to select a EMT basic Training program. They all promise the stars for about $1500. Do any of you have any real life experience with any of the area schools (RC, Percom, etc). Hoping to start an online program during the holidays and complete the training in 6months. Any private schools you all like/recommend?

CerealKing

Forum Ride Along
I did Percom for my Paramedic (graduated in the last few months). I thought it was OK. A few cautions to consider though:
-Scheduling clinical can take a long time and be a bit difficult. They will not let you schedule clinicals until you are completely done with everything else (didactic, skills, tests), at least that is the case for paramedic.
-They also require 4-week advance notice for the scheduling which makes it even more difficult and leads to a lot of waiting around feeling. There are also some other time delays I have noticed, like getting approval to schedule can take a week to two after passing the final and "Meeting the requirements" which adds to the delay.
-It also seems like they require more clinical hours than other places, not 100% sure about that but their syllabus lists like 60-80+ hours I think but where I did my EMT it was like 16, not necessarily good or bad but something to consider.
-The clinical site availability on their website has not been updated in I am pretty sure over a year so do not rely on that to be accurate for available clinical sites, so unless you are willing to travel reach out for the updated list first. It was also nearly impossible for me to get hours anywhere besides in an ER or on an Ambulance which for me as a Paramedic student was something I was disappointed with.
-It is a very independent program which is nice but has some drawbacks. Their retention rate is not the best and unless you are really really committed it is easy to get discouraged from continuing.

I would also caution that this program may not be best for your goals. If you are a pre-med/pre-health student trying to get some experience, I wouldn't exactly recommend this course. On a similar note if you are trying to get into EMS and you currently have no one you know in EMS who you can reach out too there is very limited interaction with the instructors because they are only part-time and have a lot of student per instructor. But if you just need your EMT for another job I think this program is a good one to check the boxes and get out.

Overall I think it is a good program, all programs have drawbacks and benefits, but I personally preferred my in-person EMT course which I did in a very accelerated format and I had a really good experience there.

Sorry this was so long but these are the things I wish I had known/considered before signing up with Percom. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out.