EMT-B training

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
Just completed the first week of class and that I've aced the first three assessments.B) Our instructor is very knowledgeable and our class work consists of review "homework," the Prehospital workbook, followed by a quiz that follows the evenings powerpoint lecture. We have yet to get into the physical demonstrations, though that's on the horizon.

For the most part, I'm learning quite a bit and believe that it's well worth my time. My only disappointment has been seeing others who don't take it so seriously You know the kind-the guy who shows up and says his homework isn't done and asks if thats o.k.:wacko: You also have the person who has to miss "required" classes because his brother in law's roommate from college is getting married for the third time, and would that be o.k.?.:rolleyes: I will admit that I have my own faults, I over do things and perhaps I've been treating this like it's Yale law or something. I guess that I'm one who would rather over do it than just wing it or half-you-know-what-it.:glare:

What was your training like and what is your assessment of it? Any drawbacks? How could training improve?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Good students will be good EMT's. Mediocre students will be mediocre EMT's. I've seen a wide range of abilities in instructors and students. Some students that passed a class and made me fear for the safety of my loved ones should that person respond to their emergency.

I have seen an attitude, primarily in volunteer agencies that EMS is a sort of spectator sport. The attitude is if you take the class, you get to see some cool stuff. Personally, if I can't depend on you when the fecal matter meets the ventilation equipment, I don't want you anywhere near a patient.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I have just finished my first quarter of 3 for EMT-I (2 quarters of basic, 1 quarter of intermedicate)

On August 31, my husband hit and killed our 3 year old daughter with his bulldozer. With the training from my first 8 weeks, I was able to perform CPR correctly, and I remember counting it out like Chester the instructor taught us. I was able to adequately open her airway while maintaining C-spine. I found her pulse, and I knew where to look to find it. I knew that she needed 15 l/m of O2. I knew how to strap her on the longboard. I also knew how to properly hook the AED to her. Of course, I was only able to do the CPR, the medics on scene wouldnt let me help although I tried desperately.

I was not able to save her with my cpr. Nothing would have saved her. From what I've learned, I knew as soon as I saw her that nothing would have saved her.

I am SO thankful for that little bit of training I had. I'm not overly religious, but I absolutely, 100% feel there was a reason that I was led into this field at almost 31 years old. The week after Caroline's funeral, I had my final. I made a 91 on the final and a 90 in the class.

I will be back for my 2nd and 3rd quarters and will be starting medic school as soon as the next session starts (it will be March/April 09) I'm gonna love this field.

As for the slackers, they will slowly weed themselves from the class. We started with 18, we're down to 11 with 2 barely hanging on. I also turned in a cheater.. kind of. We have always graded our own tests. 1 person would take the test as we went over the answers. A very wise classmate told me not to turn them in, they wouldnt pass the NREMT-I anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: