EMS Magazine Article on the Recent shootings

It's disgusting how EMS personnel are treated and how often they're treated in such a way.

Next thing you know, it'll escalate to the point where EMS will consider a firearm just as important on a call as a CPR face shield...

A CPR face shield??
LOL! I consider my firearm much more important. I've never needed a CPR face shield in thirty-six years! :D

LOL! I consider my firearm much more important. I've never needed a CPR face shield in thirty-six years! :D

when have you needed your firearm? <_<

In three wars. But everytime I've been shot at in street EMS, I was too busy heading the other direction to shoot back. But if the time comes that I do need it, there is no substitute for it. Wheras there are plenty of substitutes for a CPR face shield. That is why it is more important, relatively speaking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Out of the thousands of photographs we have on file, I don't believe we have one single image of a CPR face shield. I've never had a request for one from any of my publishers either. Hell, I'm not sure what one looks like!

A CPR face shield??

Any PPE barrier devices protecting you from direct contact with saliva, blood, vomit, etc while performing CPR...

Here is what EMS Magazine and EMSResponder.com wrote over the phone interview I did a couple of weeks back.

"NAEMT found in 2005 that 52% of EMS providers have been assaulted in the field"

Are we differentiating between assault and battery in this, or are we combining the two? Also, was unwanted touching considered assault in this study? The numbers were from 3+ years ago...I'd like to see what the numbers would be today.

Maybe I'm just shocked by the high number of this study...a good read given the recent events cited, DT. Too many people blow over the "scene safety" part of their assessment process - that hero complex gets people every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since most EMS only providers are never taught what is safe and what isn't, how can anyone expect they can even recognize unsafe?

In an ems workbook I deal with regularly there are some pages of fairly obvious hazards, but there isn't enough time in medic classes to teach medicine, much less all the possible dangers of a scene.

Too many people blow over the "scene safety" part of their assessment process - that hero complex gets people every time.
Unfortunately, EMS is most commonly taught as nothing more than a book full of checklists to be memorized, instead of a critical thinking process to be performed. Rarely do I see EMS instructors incorporating actual scene safety issues into their scenarios. Consequently, a great many EMTs come out of school believing that verbalizing "BSI, scene safety" is all that is necessary to achieve scene safety. After all, that's all that was necessary to pass the NR, right? But they are completely incapable of actually assessing scene safety.

Unfortunately, EMS is most commonly taught as nothing more than a book full of checklists to be memorized, instead of a critical thinking process to be performed.
exactly! Couldn't put it better myself.

Are we differentiating between assault and battery in this, or are we combining the two? Also, was unwanted touching considered assault in this study? The numbers were from 3+ years ago...I'd like to see what the numbers would be today.

Maybe I'm just shocked by the high number of this study...a good read given the recent events cited, DT. Too many people blow over the "scene safety" part of their assessment process - that hero complex gets people every time.

Not all states separate "Assault" from "battery". Since it is INJURIES suffered it is apparent there has to be some sort of physical contact.
I have been fighitng this battle for over 12 years. Just now are people really starting to recognize the problem. I am thankful there is more recognition now.
We have a long way to go though.

Not all states separate "Assault" from "battery".
That's yet another problem with the EMT curriculum. The legal section is extremely vague and includes items that are inconsistent with many state laws. And unfortunately, that leaves many providers with the mistaken belief that they understand those laws.

Unfortunately, EMS is most commonly taught as nothing more than a book full of checklists to be memorized, instead of a critical thinking process to be performed. Rarely do I see EMS instructors incorporating actual scene safety issues into their scenarios. Consequently, a great many EMTs come out of school believing that verbalizing "BSI, scene safety" is all that is necessary to achieve scene safety. After all, that's all that was necessary to pass the NR, right? But they are completely incapable of actually assessing scene safety.

*walks into burning building* BSI/SCENE SAFETY! *spirit hands* Wooh!

In our class, we went over BSI/SS a lot, and during our practice sims', the proctor gave us a description of the scene, and we had to decide if we wanted to proceed. For example, one was:

You have been called to a private residence for ALOC, as you enter you smell alcohol and suspect ETOH. You also see stuffed ducks trophies hanging on the wall. There is a middle aged man sitting in a recliner in the corner, and is covered up with a very large blanket. The man is alert and tracking, and the house is warm.

Now obviously, we're going to say, not safe, the trophies exhibit that there is a strong possibility of firearms in the house, and if the man is ETOH his decision will be screwed. Also, why would he be covered up in a large blanket if the house is warm. Probably not safe. But I'm still not sure how that would be handled in an actual call. But it describes the critical thinking you're talking about.

*walks into burning building* BSI/SCENE SAFETY! *spirit hands* Wooh!

In our class, we went over BSI/SS a lot, and during our practice sims', the proctor gave us a description of the scene, and we had to decide if we wanted to proceed. For example, one was:

You have been called to a private residence for ALOC, as you enter you smell alcohol and suspect ETOH. You also see stuffed ducks trophies hanging on the wall. There is a middle aged man sitting in a recliner in the corner, and is covered up with a very large blanket. The man is alert and tracking, and the house is warm.

Now obviously, we're going to say, not safe, the trophies exhibit that there is a strong possibility of firearms in the house, and if the man is ETOH his decision will be screwed. Also, why would he be covered up in a large blanket if the house is warm. Probably not safe. But I'm still not sure how that would be handled in an actual call. But it describes the critical thinking you're talking about.

The problem with this type of scene is that it is blatently obvious the hazards. More subtle ones might be c/c general malaise, difficulty breathing. You might walk into a CO environment and not realize it.

There is also an issue with scene dynamics, a scene that started safe may become unsafe. Like a patient who called you, with a diminishing LOC.

A scene that could give a false sense of security. Like an officer down where other officers have secured his service arm, but not any "backup" weapons etc.

When students do ride time, how much are they instructed on street safety before they go out? Which is different in different locations?

In some neighborhoods I have worked, a welfare check on an elderly person could be a dangerous undertaking, it was normal for them to be barricaded and armed. I have also seen some really cool booby traps. I am certain LE knows more about this than me (at least I hope they do) but how often does a LEO come to lecture or teach in paramedic class?

The problem with this type of scene is that it is blatently obvious the hazards. More subtle ones might be c/c general malaise, difficulty breathing. You might walk into a CO environment and not realize it.

There is also an issue with scene dynamics, a scene that started safe may become unsafe. Like a patient who called you, with a diminishing LOC.

A scene that could give a false sense of security. Like an officer down where other officers have secured his service arm, but not any "backup" weapons etc.

When students do ride time, how much are they instructed on street safety before they go out? Which is different in different locations?

In some neighborhoods I have worked, a welfare check on an elderly person could be a dangerous undertaking, it was normal for them to be barricaded and armed. I have also seen some really cool booby traps. I am certain LE knows more about this than me (at least I hope they do) but how often does a LEO come to lecture or teach in paramedic class?

You are making my point. With an estimated 700,000 EMS assaults annually....... it IS the SAFE scene the assaults are occurring on.

The Tulsa report from the other day was a "routine" call.

Here is the problem....... it is swept under the carpet regularly. More often than not people in administration do not want to recognize the truth. Like I said before...... I can't wait for EMS providers to start suing employers for injuries on the job from assaults. How about a wrongful death suit?

Have your attorney call me......... We can prove for over 12 years we have tried and tried to have this as much a part of training as "Proper Lifting" and "BSI" but NNNNNOOOOOOO...... the number one injury in EMS comes from assault!!!!

There is way more to EMs protecting themselves than just a lecture. Yuo must prepare for FOUR specific battles:

1) Battle of the Mind..... (when is it OK to use self defense)
2) The Actual Physical Battle (True real-word escape skills)
3) Battle of the Media (Headlines will read....Paramedic beats up drunk patient)
4) Battle of the Courtroom (Documentation, Witnesses, Demeanor, Customer Service)

Folks in EMS we have to win in all 4 areas. If your training in not up to par........

There is way more to EMs protecting themselves than just a lecture. Yuo must prepare for FOUR specific battles:

1) Battle of the Mind..... (when is it OK to use self defense)
2) The Actual Physical Battle (True real-word escape skills)
3) Battle of the Media (Headlines will read....Paramedic beats up drunk patient)
4) Battle of the Courtroom (Documentation, Witnesses, Demeanor, Customer Service)

Folks in EMS we have to win in all 4 areas. If your training in not up to par........

i agree with your position fully, but at this point i think with the amount of time devoted to medic classes in total, to steal a hazmat term "awareness" might be the best we can do for now at the education level and the practical part could be better addressed as part of an orientation. I would love to see practicle safety and defense as part of the curriculum, but I think there are more pressing needs from the medical standpoint. My thinking, if you hurt yourself through ignorance that sucks, if you hurt somebody else then there is a bigger problem.

i agree with your position fully, but at this point i think with the amount of time devoted to medic classes in total, to steal a hazmat term "awareness" might be the best we can do for now at the education level and the practical part could be better addressed as part of an orientation. I would love to see practicle safety and defense as part of the curriculum, but I think there are more pressing needs from the medical standpoint. My thinking, if you hurt yourself through ignorance that sucks, if you hurt somebody else then there is a bigger problem.

Awareness is just not cutting it. There are lectures and lectures and lectures and our people are still attacked at an alarming rate. It is like a lecture about a surgical cric........ with no hands on..... Or like reading a book about Golf. Without some sort of reality based physical reinforcement it is pretty much useless.

You said it yourself:
"My thinking, if you hurt yourself through ignorance that sucks, if you hurt somebody else then there is a bigger problem"

Untrained people respond like cavemen.... because no one told them what they could or couldn't do the media eats it up, chews the medic up and spits them out. Has a medic ever assaulted a "patient". Yup......

16 hours........ that is two days added to a program. It is always a hot topic when it hits home. Then it becomes a "maybe next year" type of thing.

No worries. All is good :)

Back