Elbow Control Cont..........

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Although I don't teach restraints (as a regular part of the course, I am certified in teaching the mechanics of arrest and control as well as hancuffing) I would like to point out something that will help.

Let me start by saying this would be for an uncooperative patient. NOT A PERSON LAW ENFORCEMENT SHOULD BE RESTRAINING.

For many years I have seen people wrestle an uncooperative patient in an ER or on a scene, waisting tons of energy, trying to place a person in medical restraints (hard/soft).

The biggest problem is providers grab the wrist and ankle in an attempt to control the limbs.

Try this..........Have a partner stand errect in front of you and grab their wrist while it is down at their side. Now touching only their wrtis and without moving your feet, try to push them away. Notice only the arm moved, not their body.

Now grab their elbow and push them away. Notice how quickly they moved away. (You can also pull them to you with little effort).

So instead of grabbing a wrist or ankle during a restraint situation, "Control the Elbow" and "Knee" and watch the difference in "Control". Pin it with your WEIGHT not strength.

See a simple concept has many "techniques" within it. I will add one for ground defense later. ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Good point.

If I'm restraining a combative patient to the strecher with cravats, kling, and straps, they get cravats / kling to each ankle/wrist, and since our bottom strecher strap is down below the knee, I put a 9-ft strap around the strecher just above the knees. That way, the patient can't bend their knees to free themselves from the straps, and they can't really kick.

I've used "5th point" restraint straps a few times, but that is a different placement for a different reason.

Jon