Crew Resource Management: Teamwork and Communication

skyemt

Forum Captain
Hi guys...

there are many very skilled medics and emt's...

what seems to set some crews apart, is the idea of Crew Resource Management. Adopted from the aviation industry (Cockpit Resource management), where they found mistakes being made by very skilled pilots during times of stress... they found a breakdown in communication was partly to blame for many fatalities. Through the implementation of CRM, things have improved.

now this getting more attention in the world of EMS, although i'm sure many have been doing it for quite some time...

i would like to know, from those that feel they run an efficient crew that utilizes these concepts, what they would identify as important aspects of managing their "team" on a call...

one of my goals for this year is to improve my agency in this area, and i welcome any and all comments...

thanks!

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Sadly no one has yet replied to this thread (Since yesterday)... Granted that crews are the most expensive resource, they are also the most scarse, and without them, the system can not exist, hence investing in them, would pay off, no matter what.

We have no fromal program (CRD), but it sounds like a concept that can only better the well being of the crews, and for that, i am all ears.

Currently we (My service) are having "contests" between various brances. This helps to get to know others you may see once in a while. Then there is also fun days which sponsered by various emeregency departments, and everyone gets to participate. At our specific branch we also have an "action cricket" team, competing against other civilian teams. On my shift, we have a "Braai" (What you refer to as BBQ) every so often, and then invite other services as well (While on shift).

I will keep an eye on the thread to get more ideas...