Create a small pack

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You are doing basic search and rescue. In addition to other equipment you are carrying you are required to have enough supplies to handle a two person "first aid" emergency. What would you pack/carry?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
What kind of SAR?

Urban?

Oceanic?

Wilderness?; Summer or Winter?; Canyon or Sand Dunes or Mountains?

The first one.. No idea; the second, I can't swim; the Third.. I could go on for hours.

1> Some type of preserved food, not something that will spoil. Granola Bars, High Energy Food Bars, etc.

2> Water, 1 quart per person for every six hours.

3> Light, 1 Flashlight w/ 2 spare packs of batteries for every 24 hours; and 6 Cyalume lights, Green or yellow.

4> Rain Poncho and small tarp

5> 50' of clothesline or flag pole rope

6> 5 instant handwarmers, the black powder in fabric bags, lasts 12 hours

7> Water purification tablets, enough for 1 week

8> Water pouch, something to hold clean water in (could be a baggie, could be an actual water pouch, could be a condom - no lube duh)

9> Socks, two pairs, heavy in the winter

10> Fishing kit, sewing kit, small mirror, wilderness whistle, water proof matches, 100.

First aid

5 4x4's
Bottle of iodine
Benadryl tablets
mole skin
duct tape
bandaids
tourniquet
roll of muslin bandage
4 cravats
2 mylar blankets
2 vaseline gauze (2 lungs)
lip balm
tweezers
small scissors
knife w/ saw (to cut sticks for for splints)
alcohol swabs
needle and thread
panty hose (to make a case w/ the duct tape)
Flat packed SAM splint
rectal thermometer (hypo AND hyper thermia patients shiver to control temperature, but as long as you either don't use it or clean it, you can use it orally)
4 Hand warmers
rolled portable stretcher (reeves w/ the slats removed).

if they are hypothermic, make a pile of the following:
Place the tarp on the ground, in a diamond shape
Place a mylar blanket on it, with a corner pointing toward a flat edge,
Place another mylar blanket on that, again, corner in a different direction.

Place the patient on that, fold the bottom in, put a hand warmer in a sock, place it above the groin. place another sock w/ hand warmer in each arm pit, fold in the sides. Fold the top in around the head, and put another hand warmer in a sock on the top of the head. put duct tape around the head (not on the skin, just on the tarp). It will hold it in place. Duct tape the tarp closed. Place the patient on the stretcher, and carry away.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
And if you were talking Urban.

Atwater Carey makes a good kit, I bought one from the people below. The 3.0 kit, added some amoxicillin tablets, TripAntiBio Ointment, an epi pen, Sawyer extractor, steri strips, one of my 'travel BGL kits' (a Prestige Smart kit), a syringe of glucagon and a couple tubes of glucose tablets.

http://www.baproducts.com/ac263.htm

Local boy scout troops carry one of these kits, only they add liquid benadryl and some of those Temp-dot thermometers.

and the forestry trucks carry one of these for every 15 crew members:
http://www.baproducts.com/1184.htm