communication - who's to blame?

daxmotis1989

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
So I was delivering a patient with my partner of about 10 months and were transferring a patient by standing pivot from a stair chair to a low lying bed in a small room. My partner did the main lifting as he has more experience and I was supposed to take out the stair chair in order for the patient to have room to scoot back to the bad. The patient had a fractured clavicle in a sling so my partner only grabbed under one arm while the patuent hugged with the other. The patient was a little weak and heavy but claimed she could walk with a walker. He rocked the patient up and she was about halfway (maybe a bit more) up when I started to take out the chair as it was a small room and i wanted to help support the patient as quickly as possible. My partner ended up losing balance as his foot was on the bottom bar of the chair and since the chair was about half way out from behind the patient, they both fell to the bed. It was a soft fall and no one was hurt. Was this a result of my poor judgment of when to take out the chair, his lifting style, or both? I take these little mishaps I just wanted to know if I'm beating myself up for something that was out of my control or if Im feeling like a failure for a legitimate reason. Thanks for your input!

Sounds like both you and your partner could have benefited from more communication. You could have asked your partner if s/he was ready for you to start moving the chair. But your partner should probably also have realized not to rest his/her foot on it since you were going to be moving it.
Instead of talking about blame, use this as a learning experience. No one got hurt, and I can guarantee you will never have this happen to you again.

Always communicate what you are about to do. That said, things happen. No one got hurt and it's something everyone can learn from.

Actually, once you were able to move the chair, it was time to move the chair. How would it be to soon?

Instead of talking about blame, use this as a learning experience. No one got hurt, and I can guarantee you will never have this happen to you again.

This.

When bad things happen, and this was a bad thing, it's important to fully evaluate them to learn all of the lessons from them. Placing blame doesn't help, dealing with the problem and moving forward does.

By the way, listen carefully when people are telling stories of their times like this, and learn your lessons from their stories as well. It's the only way to redeem a situation like this, to fully embrace the lesson that needs to be learned.

Commo is key.
Also, I was taught the only thing to have your foot on, besides the ground, during a carry is a ladder you are climbing or descending.

Back