Cardiac sound detection

bstogner

Forum Probie
I found a link on PubMed about the "disturbingly low" rate that physicians and medical students were able to identify "common" cardiac conditions via auscultation.

I just thought it would be interesting to share the news and hopefully convince some other people that, while medical technology has increased drastically and continues to do so, you have to remember to focus on providing a good quality physical exam.

Also, has anyone ever heard of any studies like this regarding prehospital personal?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Link?

What were the "common" cardiac conditions?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Not something we suffer from here :)

Every patient, every day, even if you saw the same one yesterday.

I am always entertained to see people trying to listen to heart tones without palpating for a pulse.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Not something we suffer from here :)

Every patient, every day, even if you saw the same one yesterday.

I am always entertained to see people trying to listen to heart tones without palpating for a pulse.

Wait, are you supposed to palpate the apical pulse beforehand? That makes sense. I'll remember that for future reference when I get to the point that I need to listen to heart tones.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Wait, are you supposed to palpate the apical pulse beforehand? That makes sense. I'll remember that for future reference when I get to the point that I need to listen to heart tones.

You have to feel the pulse while you listen to heart tones to determine if any additional sounds (especially murmurs) are systolic or diastolic.

It is easiest to just use a radial pulse.