cardiac arrest tips and tricks you have learned along the way...?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
If they're in the bathroom.....get them out! You'd be surprised at how many people forget this little fact and try to do everything in the darn bathroom! Make your job a little easier and get them into either A) an open room where you can start working or B) have someone bring in the backboard or Reeves then get them in the bus.

Good advice...until you find your 120 kg patient in the garden tub :blink:...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Stack some extra white sheets on your cot...roll and slide under the Pt. Then drag them out.

We actually worked it in place, there was enough room to place a chest compressor beside the patient in the tub sorta comfortably, the airway was managed with a King and access acheived via EZIO. Removing the patient from the tub and carrying them through two doors and around the corner(tub was in the back of bathroom, through door was toilet and vanity, next door went into hallway leading to den) would have lead to an unacceptably long off the chest time.

G00CH 53

Forum Probie
We actually worked it in place, there was enough room to place a chest compressor beside the patient in the tub sorta comfortably, the airway was managed with a King and access acheived via EZIO. Removing the patient from the tub and carrying them through two doors and around the corner(tub was in the back of bathroom, through door was toilet and vanity, next door went into hallway leading to den) would have lead to an unacceptably long off the chest time.

When's it's just you and your partner waiting for the next E.Co it's a little complicated. However, the biggest problem we run into is "off chest" time. We don't carry our "rib breaker" anymore.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
When's it's just you and your partner waiting for the next E.Co it's a little complicated. However, the biggest problem we run into is "off chest" time. We don't carry our "rib breaker" anymore.

We only run two to a unit and in the county often don't have extra hands. Swap every two minutes, ACLS gets done when it gets done. Don't screw around with ETTs and IVs when an IO and BIAD will do (if your practice guideline support this of course).

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Swap every two minutes, ACLS gets done when it gets done. Don't screw around with ETTs and IVs when an IO and BIAD will do (if your practice guideline support this of course).

+1.

We are specifically instructed to focus on compressions and ventilations as first crew on scene. The second crew or MICA will do the fancy useless s**t later ;-)

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
If the pt codes on the upper deck of a double decker bus use a sheet to get the pt out...not a backboard. The backboard is too long to get down the stairs, this guy was pretty much hanging straight upside down...almost took his head off. Needless to say that was a cluster.

I agree with the don't feel bad about asking for orders to call it, on the same note remember to check for obvious signs...dead is dead.

Always assume any call at a nursing home is going to be a code, no matter what it comes in as. It is just easier to bring extra equipment out then have to go running.

My last piece of advice comes from my last "code." Always remember to check a pulse before working a code, don't assume the person doing CPR actually did that. The other week I ran a code and when I walked in I stopped the facility CPR, as I go to check for a pulse the pt looks up at me and says "Hey"...they were just enjoying their Soma's a little too much. We all had a pretty good laugh. The pain did say her chest was a little sore. LOL

I worked 9 codes in 3 weeks, they are all just a blur now. The bus one wasn't one of them.

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Lots of good tips here. Biggest thing I can offer is... keep calm and relaxed. Those providers that end up yelling, rushing, getting flustered and such... kinda gets infectious and it all goes nuts. Get your best Bob Ross voice going and run yourself a good efficient code.

If you happen to be someone on the sideline watching waiting for something to do... spot a family member and go to them, explain to them calmly what is going on, give them the confidence that folks with some of the best training in the world are doing their best ( and hopefully they are showing proficiency to help back your statement up ) and offer them time for questions. Get history, etc as well if no one else is.
That is a task not always done, and always appreciated and most of time beneficial for info.

+1

I'm originally from the south, been living up in the PNW for years now, somehow developed a Minnesota accent while working codes.

"Okey dokey guys...why 'bout ya go ahead 'n start pumpin' away..."

Keeping calm is the absolute best tip I can think of. Not my problem, chances are if you're dead you ate a few too many cheeseburgers in your life, weren't wearing your seatbelt (not that we work those anyways), or made some pretty poor decisions. Having that dedicated time keeper/recorder is a lifesaver (hah) as well.