California EMT

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
I've looked around online and can't find the answer to this question:
I am currently a Virginia EMT-B. I hope to be going to college in California. What do I have to do to become a California EMT-B? If I get NREMT, can I automatically become a California EMT? Or do I have to take the entire California EMT class?

Thanks.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
We're a National Registry state. If you show up at the county EMS agency (we're a county-by-county state) with your National Registry paperwork and a course completion certificate, you oughta be good to go.

How many hours was your course? I believe that we require a minimum of 110 hours.

Oh, wait. you're currently an EMT-B in VA. If you pass the National Registry, you'll be fine here. Just check with the EMS agency in the county that you're moving to.

what college are you going to?

OP
OP
FF/EMT Sam

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Try this:
http://www.emsa.ca.gov/legislation/legislation.asp

I want to say that NREMT is enough, but when you get certified on the county level (which certifies you for the whole state), they ask for your EMT class certificate...I don't know if they accept out of state ones.

We're a National Registry state. If you show up at the county EMS agency (we're a county-by-county state) with your National Registry paperwork and a course completion certificate, you oughta be good to go.

How many hours was your course? I believe that we require a minimum of 110 hours.

Oh, wait. you're currently an EMT-B in VA. If you pass the National Registry, you'll be fine here. Just check with the EMS agency in the county that you're moving to.

what college are you going to?

Thank you both. If all goes according to plan, I'll be taking the NR test soon.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
There's actually a page on that site about reciprocity if you click around

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I've looked around online and can't find the answer to this question:
I am currently a Virginia EMT-B. I hope to be going to college in California. What do I have to do to become a California EMT-B? If I get NREMT, can I automatically become a California EMT? Or do I have to take the entire California EMT class?

Thanks.

What part of VA are you from?

OP
OP
FF/EMT Sam

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
The Eastern Shore

EDIT: Ok. I have no idea how I double posted. How do I delete this?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
FF/EMT Sam

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant