Bright Red Venous Blood?

Shabo

Forum Probie
to confirm CSF rather than another clear fluid

Jinkx

Forum Probie
Never thought of that. Cool. We have traditionally used a halo test.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
We were taught that CSF has 1/2 the GL of blood.

So do your BGL get 100 if the fluid from the ear is has GL of ~50 +CSF

It technically around 2/3 the venous glucose level. Glucose levels should normally be 50-80 mg/dL ( depending on your labs' standards and book ref )..... kinda like normal venous glucose levels are 80-110 or 70-120 or 60-130.... you get my drift....

I would not rely on a CSF glucose level to indicate normal venous glucose status. Not in EMS. If you get the chance to sample CSF glucose levels in the field.... the pt probably has bigger issues at hand. :eek:

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain

Urine can show glucose.... serous fluid can and should show glucose ( e.g. External ear canal trauma from a q-tip or even a burn, causing serous fluid to ooze )

Shabo

Forum Probie
Just like any test there can be false positives, It's just another tool to have in our arsenal. For as many fluids that there are that can give a false positive with a glucose check there are many more that can do the same with the halo test.

Your right, the pt probably does have more pressing issues at hand... especially if they have glucose + urine coming out of their nose and ears ;)

Hellsbells

Forum Crew Member
Ive seen that as well. Off subject Ive scene medics use a drop off the end of an IV Cath to do a D stick. It gets a result but rarely accurate. I think its a bad and lazy habit

I routinely get BGL samples off the flash chamber, and its not a bad or lazy habit by any means, provided your BGL strips are rated for venous blood. After a previous debate on the subject I looked at the directions on the side of the test strip box, and they are rated for both cap and venous samples.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
So, if the meter and strips are rated for" whole blood" and "capillary blood" does this indicate it cal be used for venous blood? It is a Precision Xtra meter.