BLS command? (Pennsylvania)

APinPA

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
I am a fairly new EMT in PA. I am not a primary provider yet, mostly because I have been in constant motion and trying to complete nursing school. When I first started precepting in Montgomery county PA (after I had graduated EMT class) they referred to it as "precepting for command". Same general thing where I run in Chester county. Now that I am in another county, they are saying that they have never heard of BLS providers being required to have "command". The way the process of BLS command was explained to me was that your preceptors and supervisor all signed off that you had completed your probationary period, and then the medical director would sign a piece of paper that authorized you to have "command" through the state (as opposed to ALS command where you have additional steps including a face to face interview with your medical director).
So the question; Are the terms command and primary used interchangeably? Does an EMT need a medical director approval to be the primary care provider (is it a state requirement)? or, Is it just that some organizations have that policy and it is not a state requirement?

Never heard of this type of requirement. Sounds like way too much hassle for a bls provider

Never heard of this, are you talking about command on an incident? Incident Command is not based on providers level of medical training

Sounds like FD thinking and terminology. From ICS, all incidents, big or small, technically have an IC.

From the sounds of it, it's semantics for being authorized to practice in your state, under your physician. I would venture to say command and lead/primary are interchangeable.

Sounds like FD thinking and terminology. From ICS, all incidents, big or small, technically have an IC.

Haha, I'm all too familiar with the concept. Nothing like waiting for the BLS ambulance on a late night medical call and having them show up with a non EMS trained FF in a command SUV rather than driving their ambulance to the scene for you. Genius!

Volly politics and self importance. They're interchangeable.

I am a fairly new EMT in PA. I am not a primary provider yet, mostly because I have been in constant motion and trying to complete nursing school. When I first started precepting in Montgomery county PA (after I had graduated EMT class) they referred to it as "precepting for command". Same general thing where I run in Chester county. Now that I am in another county, they are saying that they have never heard of BLS providers being required to have "command". The way the process of BLS command was explained to me was that your preceptors and supervisor all signed off that you had completed your probationary period, and then the medical director would sign a piece of paper that authorized you to have "command" through the state (as opposed to ALS command where you have additional steps including a face to face interview with your medical director).
So the question; Are the terms command and primary used interchangeably? Does an EMT need a medical director approval to be the primary care provider (is it a state requirement)? or, Is it just that some organizations have that policy and it is not a state requirement?

I used to work in Chester County. I've never heard of BLS command.
We used to have to "clear" our volunteers, which was basically FTOing them for 10 or so patients to make sure they knew what they were doing before they could take patient care by themselves, but that was an in-house thing, it wasn't a county requirement. The medical director also had nothing to do with it, only ALS providers had "command" through an MD.

In Maryland where I was there was a similar thing, where the county had to sign off new providers. I think you needed 5 patient contacts with an FTO.

It all depends on your state as to the requirements before you can "practice" somewhere.

At our organization, all levels of providers ("career" or "volunteer") must complete a probationary period prior to practicing independently. Additionally, ILS and ALS providers must perform Oral Boards. That requirement is waived for BLS providers, but this may not be the case in different counties.

I think they are using the term interchangeably. In Pa. BLS providers are not required to have an established command. I'll explain

In pa as a Paramedic your are required to maintain whats called "command elgibility" which you have completed 18 Continuing Education Credits per year maintain ACLS, CPR, and fill out a paper each year. And the region you work in will give you a "command number" which means that you have established requirements to work as a paramedic. Pa Paramedic certification never expires. You are either on command or not.

As a paramedic you need to have 3 shifts or 36 hours with a preceptor to be elgible for command. in your region

on the BLS side its based upon your company. they may have used the wording "precepting for command" as your FTO time. Most places require so many calls where you are the primary care provider and with another EMT verifying your skills. this is not "precepting for command" this is just proving your capable of performing your duties as required.

I used to live in chester county went I went to school, Now I am about an hour from Harrisburg. Good to see a fellow Pennsylvanian on here. :)

PA here too as well... Harrisburg ;)

Back